What's new

AMADEUS: Director's Cut, Poltergeist and Gremlins SEs (1 Viewer)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
amadeus_dc.jpg

Interesting poster...considering that the Director's Cut didn't win 8 Academy Awards! :D
I'll be really disappointed if you cannot choose to watch both versions. (Although, I'm disappointed that there's no female nudity in the Redux too! ;) )

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Could any one elaborate as to the specs on the new POLTERGEIST DVD? it's not on dvdfile anymore. If it is a new transfer or remixed sound, it is the only excuse I'll need to pick it up.

The imagined controversy over the strange cut in the film is totally without backing. People around here seem to have convinced that the cut is a mistake. I have owned every incarnation of this film on video, and saw an old crappy print in the theater about 6 years ago. All was intact, nothing missing.... and as I remember, the cut was there. I have seen POLTERGEIST enough to notice any changes.

Anthony R

Stunt Coordinator
DVDFile never had any specs listed for Poltergeist, but said they would be coming soon. I can't remember if Poltergeist II was listed, but I read elsewhere it was coming out as well. No word but on Poltergeist III (but who cares?).

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Any re-purchase of Poltergeist I make will be based solely on supplemental extras. The audio and video quality of the current release are both top-notch. A commentary track and documentary would be a nice addition.

I have Poltergeist 2 on R4 DVD, and it has a superb enhanced widescreen transfer, so expect to see the same on R1.

All of these re-releases look quite tempting.

Adam

Jay W

Supporting Actor
I'm all over these releases :)
In particular Amadeus, which I've been waiting for for a long time. Looks great, going to have to catch the re-release in theaters too :).

Beau

Supporting Actor
GREMLINS!!!:D I LOVE these 2 movies! I SOOOOOO can't wait for them. In fact, I think I'll watch them back-to-back right now!*Runs to VCR and puts in "Gremlins"*

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It would be particulary neat if Joe Dante made a 3rd "DVD glitch" transition for the scene that's a film tear in the theatrical cut and a tape tracking error in the VHS version.

Perhaps the scene gets pixelated and starts randomly changing audio tracks, subtitles, and other stuff (not for real of course, by overlays).

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
For the people who own "Gremlins 2" on VHS...

I just picked up the video from Suncoast a few days ago and it was indeed Widescreen, but unfortunatly, the film is presented in something like a 1.50:1 aspect ratio and in some scenes, there are specks of dust from the print at either the top or bottom of the screen. I was upset with the presentation. Not just in the problems, but also the "home video" intermission. Sorry to dissapoint everyone, but I prefer the original theatrical intermission. It is more in tone with the rest of the film and not to mention it is in all of the TV cuts. The other problem is that in the end credits, everyone in that sequence is still credited. In other words, they should have kept it the same.

But it's still a great movie anyway, so i'm sorry for my bitching. I just thought people should know. I can't wait to buy the DVD with a hopeful commentary track.

The laserdisc of Gremlins 2 contained the original theatrical version of the breakdown sequence. I can believe that the DVD would do the same, but it would be nice if they included the tape version among the Special Features. I prefer the theatrical version as well, but I always liked that they went to the effort for the video. Either way, I can't wait for the DVD.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
The laserdisc of Gremlins 2 contained the original theatrical version of the breakdown sequence. I can believe that the DVD would do the same, but it would be nice if they included the tape version among the Special Features. I prefer the theatrical version as well, but I always liked that they went to the effort for the video. Either way, I can't wait for the DVD.
Gremlins 2 was on TV here recently. To my surprise they ran the theatrical version of the breakdown, which was the first time I had ever seen it... Great stuff, I'd prefer this on the DVD, but jeez, the Hulk Hogan cameo kind of spoilt it...

Dan

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Re: Amadeus SE
I cannot wait to see the 'new' cut!
But if the original version isn't included, I simply won't buy it.
Re: Poltergeist SE
I don't own the current version, so this one seems a no-brainer. Can't wait.
Re: Gremlins SE
See above. :)
Re: Gremlins 2: The New Batch - Yahooooooo!!! :emoji_thumbsup: This is one funny movie! John Glover's performance alone makes this one worth owning!
So the news included in this thread will eventually end up costing me about $85.00.
Thanks a lot. :D

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I saw the Director's cut of "Amadeus" this weekend, and with the added 20 minutes it is a different film. The tone is harsher and Salieri is more mean spirited, and yes the nude scene added is very adult - not at all for children in theme and reason. Overall, even at 200 minutes, the film is still excellent.

The image was soft and dark, so I can't imagine how the DVD will look. I noticed Forman used a lot of soft focus through the film. The sound was incrediable.

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Greg, does the nude scene actualy have nudity, from what I have heard, what scene is it, if it is the scene with Costanze, I heard she covers up anything dirty , am I wrong about this, please give me details, I would like to know the content, not that this will change my love of the film, in fact it might just make it better.

Derek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks