What's new

AMADEUS: Director's Cut, Poltergeist and Gremlins SEs (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Poltergeist is going to have to look noticably better for me to re-purchase it again.

Hopefully, this is a sign that Warner will be re-issuing more titles that badly need it (Goodfellas, Batman, etc.)

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Jeremy,

You are right, it is gone, but it was there. This is why the mods would prefer that you not just put a link, like Tim did with this thread. It makes life easier if you cut and paste the paragraph, and include the link as an afterthough.

I do wonder why dvdfile pulled that news though?!?

-Chad

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
From the interview link that dvdfile provided, it seems that just about everything will be in the new cut of Amadeus. I know some people will not like this, but I don't have the Pioneer LD, never could afford it, and would like to see the new scenes, he talks about the changes in Costanze's character, for those of you with the LD, does this mean the scene where she tries to give herself to Salieri , I have never seen this scene, would someone describe it, and is there really nudity, I am wondering about the content, not that I care, this scene would be very welcome, because it would be closer to the play, but figure this is the real reason for the R rating, or is there other scenes that involve Costanze's character that is important, sorry for all the questions, but I am a big fan of the movie, and am very curious about the new cut, and am sure there will be a section with deleted scenes if all the scenes are not in the movie.

Derek

Tim RH

Second Unit
amadeussedvd.jpg
oneflewsedvd.jpg

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Please elaborate.

WB has been very supportive of anamorphic widescreen for nearly all their 1.78:1 and higher transfers. (Notable exceptions for Goodfellas and many of the early Turner discs made by MGM)

The old Cuckoo's Nest transfer was 1.85:1 non-anamorphic, but the R2 DVD IS anamorphic. There's no reason why WB would do an SE without making a new anamorphic transfer.

ChrisA

Second Unit
According to www.filmratings.com the Amadeus Director's Cut (2002) is rated R for brief nudity.
I'm not thrilled with that news. First of all, this picture won Best Picture of 1984 as it was released theatrically (rated PG).
AWESOME! I am totally thrilled. I can't stand GEORGE LUCAS mentality. GIVE ME UNRATED or whatever! I consider this a MAJOR UPGRADE! Now I need Amadeus on Digital VHS next in 1080i GLORY with uncompressed PCM 5.1 or Full-bitrate DTS !!
Wooo hooo!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
re coockoo and 16x9...

I was under the (false?) impression that this film was presented 1.66:1. If that's not true, and it is really 1.85:1, then there *is* hope for a new 16x9 transfer.

Just bummed lately at all the 1.66:1 non-anamorphic titles from Warner and MGM!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Widescreen Review said that the original One Flew disc was framed at 1.92:1...not sure how on the money they are.

Regarding Amadeus and the new "R-rated cut" - how is that unlike George Lucas? Lucas tinkers with his films and people complain and you're rejoicing over the new R-rated "redux"?

ChrisA

Second Unit
If there is footage that was R-rated and was not present previously, I'm glad it is now added, that's all I'm saying. As far as George Lucas, I guess the next film will be rated G.

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
The scene asked about between Constanze and Salieri goes as follows (obviously, SPOILERS!): during her first visit to Salieri, there is a bit of footage where Salieri tells her to return that night, if she wants her husband to get the post she seeks for him. She asks what he can mean, and Salieri basically says she knows very well what he means.

So she returns that night, and Salieri appears rather shocked by her coming. He doesn't speak while she walks about the room, putting out the candles and nattering on about Mozart, despite telling Salieri she wouldn't speak of him. She comes off as something of a twit. She asks if he needs to see the scores again, and when he doesn't respond, she simply drops them on the floor. This appears to be the point that really turns off Salieri. Finally, she begins taking her clothes off, while Salieri looks on in shock, in a mixture of lust and disgust at her actions. She finally has stripped down to her bloomers, stockings and shoes, and holds her hands over her breasts as she comes toward Salieri, who immediately rings for his servant. When the servant appears, Salieri tells the servant to show her out, and leaves. Constanze, realizing what has happened, screams "You shit!" at him, and throws a candlebra at the door.

In the documentary on the Pioneer LD SE, both Forman and Shaffer explain why they thought the scene shouldn't have been included, but I thought they had the wrong reasons for not including it, particularly Shaffer, who seemed to think Salieri rejects Constanze out of morals rather than a disgust for her. So it's curious that they decided to re-insert the scene. There is no full nudity during the scene, as Elizabeth Berridge covers her assets with her hands while on camera. It's a good scene.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
ChrisA wrote:
If there is footage that was R-rated and was not present previously, I'm glad it is now added, that's all I'm saying.
It's apparent that you have never actually seen this additional footage, but somehow you just know you want it. Apparently the only reason you want it is that either (a) it is R-rated (and I suppose therefore somehow better?) or (b) it makes the movie longer. Never mind that it may not actually add anything worthwhile to an already-long movie.

I've never seen it either, so I can't comment on that directly, but I do know that without the extra scenes this film won the Best Picture Oscar for 1984. That version should be available and preserved in the best possible form. Just like Lucas should always make available Star Wars as it was in the beginning. Revisions make it a separate and distinct movie.

If all you really want is something spicier and R-rated a subscription to Cinemax may be more effective than AMADEUS.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Very excited about the re-release of Amadeus! Believe it or not, I have NEVER had to purchase a "new and improved" version of a DVD that I already own. Amadeus would be the first, unless Blade Runner is released first!
Great news about Cuckoo's Nest too! :emoji_thumbsup:

Raymond Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Not letting someone who loves the movie see the new version because of the rating for 'brief' nudity is a pretty dumb excuse.

Just like the people who complain about the very tasteful love scene in Titanic or Kate's brief nude scene.

Well i hardly call breasts nudity....whats so taboo about a womens breasts? I mean we can show guys shirtless whenever on tv ect,thats acceptable...but women..nope. They're just breasts,loosen up people!

Next thing you know parent's won't dare let there kids see the original G rated Planet of the Apes because of Heston's butt shot. Remember kids....(natural) nudity bad......violence good.

What a great message to send to people.(sarcasm)

note..i know some people may go off & start moaning ' i would'nt let my kids see Basic Instinct ect" examples....when i never meant any sexual forms of nudity...just say...someone changing,skinny dipping,showering ect?

Whats the big deal about that...yet you'd(don't lie now)- let them watch tons of various forms of violence,especially in cartoons. What are they going to get from Tom & Jerry or Popeye among others?

I just am amazed at the reasoning some people go with....& then wonder why ther kids grow up to be violent and or disrespectfull.

ChrisA

Second Unit
If all you really want is something spicier and R-rated a subscription to Cinemax may be more effective than AMADEUS.
That is a lame comment, or was that supposed to be funny?

Amadeus is one of my favorite movies of all time and I love Mozart (my viola is still tucked away in my closet).

(Additionally, if I care what version won the oscar--as if oscar's mean anything. The first versions aren't always the best, just different. The scene may enhance the experirnce. Certainly, directors often make cuts to get into certain RATING, NOT WHAT'S BEST. So your generalization is also incorrect about the original version always being better. Keep your old copy, I'll take the new).

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Guess I need to go watch my South Park Bigger Longer Uncut to warm up. Then no matter what the nudity it will seem like a G rated film :)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
As much as I would love to see seamless branching and DTS on a Warner disc, the odds of it happening are slim to none. As far as I know, Warner has never included seamless branching on any of their discs. Fox seems to be the studio that most frequently uses this feature.

As to DTS, we are all aware of the original 5 Warner DTS discs, but that was due to some political obligation. Morgan Creek (a subsidiary of Warner) is a huge supporter of DTS and is the only reason why American Outlaws contained a DTS track. So unless Morgan Creek has anything to do with Amadeus, I really doubt it will contain a DTS track.

As for my view on all this re-editing, I prefer theatrical cuts too, but if someone REALLY wants the theatrical cut that badly, then they can buy the original flipper. If the director adding in 20 minutes to an outstanding film is going to make people pissed off or make them not want to buy the new version, then thats your loss.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
That is a lame comment, or was that supposed to be funny?

Amadeus is one of my favorite movies of all time and I love Mozart (my viola is still tucked away in my closet).

(Additionally, if I care what version won the oscar--as if oscar's mean anything. The first versions aren't always the best, just different. The scene may enhance the experirnce. Certainly, directors often make cuts to get into certain RATING, NOT WHAT'S BEST. So your generalization is also incorrect about the original version always being better. Keep your old copy, I'll take the new).
Chris, I apologize. You've better explained yourself with this last post. But your previous posts directly quoted mine and without further explanation appeared to be rather juvenile in tone. Your message seemed to be that you were really stoked about the possibility of seeing racier content in this movie, and it didn't seem to matter whether it was needed or not, just "bring it on." I mean, how could you consider added content a "MAJOR UPGRADE" before even knowing what it is? Thus my "Cinemax" comments. Again, sorry. I retract.

You're right, the additional scenes *may* enhance the experience. But we don't know that yet. And for my daughter's sake I really want the original retained as a option, assuming it is this added content that gives it the adult rating. Some people are saying it is the nudity that was always there in the first place, in the asylum. Frankly I barely noticed that, it was so fleeting and in the background. Maybe it was missed by the ratings board the first time around. I don't know. But I wouldn't be thrilled about new nudity of a more explicit and sensual nature.

Also, I did not claim or generalize that the original version of a movie is always better. But I think that it should always be available as an option, especially when the original was the recipient of such notoriety, such as in this case an Oscar (and I realize and agree that such notoriety doesn't always equate with greatness.)

Finally, I won't be keeping my old copy because I don't own one. As I said earlier I rented the current DVD and was waiting for a nice re-release to purchase.

I hope you get to enjoy your 1080i D-VHS copy someday, but I don't think Warner has come out in support of that format, in fact I think they had a negative comment, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks