AM radio reception stinks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_FFF, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Chris_FFF

Chris_FFF Extra

This may be a dumb question, but I have never owned a reciever before, and I am unable to get the usual football coverage on the AM station. I know its realted to that lame antenna that they gave me, so I went to Walmart and only saw UHF VHF FM antennas, will these also work for AM? Or does anyone have any good ideas. I cant use an exernal antenna I live with the condo commandoes! Thanks

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Find the AM antenna of your A/V receiver, it might look like a "handle" on the back. If you can unscrew it and point it horizontally in another direction (not touching anything) you may get better reception from your favorite station.
    You can string a straight single conductor wire across the room and connect it to one terminal (trial and error) of the AM "handle" or "loop" antenna, or if there is one, a terminal screw marked AM Antennal. Do not break the fragile wires that come out of the AM antenna. Some folks have gotten good results wrapping the wire coming down from across the room around the AM antenna several times before connecting the end to a terminal, I don't know the optimum amount or optimum diameter of such coiling.
    The length of rabbit ears antennas is significant and related to the wavelength of the transmitted signal (frequencies around 100-200 MHz for VHF TV). While TV antennas may pick up some signal for AM radio, we can pretty much say that the longer or larger the better. The optimum length of "rabbit ears" or the vanes of roof antennas for AM radio is several hundred feet.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm