What's new

Am I the only one? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty much in the same boat. My wife knows how to work the remotes, recognize and prefer OAR, and even demo for people occasionally.

But I have no doubt that if I went back to a 27" set and no external audio tomorrow, it would not bother her in the least.

I have had a couple of friends put together small HT systems after seeing mine, but as irony would have it, they are both out of state. No one around here gives a rat's ...

I do find, however, that concert DVD's get people far more jazzed up than movies. Get some of the really good ones out there and see what I mean.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Am I the only [HOBBY] fan whose ENTIRE family (including his wife) could care less about [HOBBY]. My immediate and extended family are all successful, educated, accomplished people. Yet none of them care about [HOBBY].

I expect many people with hobbies feel this way; and our friends or family may wonder how we, otherwise intelligent folk, don't get jazzed about their particular interests. :)

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Same here, while my system is not the best of all (27" TV, Paradigm Titans, HTIB Sub) and my DVD collection is rather small (146 Disks). Very few people I know care about Integrity/Quality...

Mum: Never watch movies at home, unless she needs to fall asleep :eek:

Dad: 27" TV, using it's internal speaker. Mostly movies on TV (Regular networks, no PPV/HBO Equivs or anything), from VHS Recordings from his satellite signal stealing brother :angry: and occasionnally borrows DVDs from me which he watches from a laptop connected to that TV using it's TV-Out. Quality is not important to him, it's the same movie no matter what. OAR is also non important, he doesn't complain when he's forced to endure black bars (DVDs from me), I'm pretty sure that those that had both AR on the same disk he watched the P&S side. OSL is also not important, all the movies he watches are the french dubbed version. (Except when he came to my place to watch, then OSL is fine but not always)

Youngest Sis (Living with mum): 27" TV, at least she's got digital cable (Same co as me, used to be on satellite) Is subscribed to the french language equivalent of HBO we have here (At least she (Well, my mum) actually PAYS for it so it's not as bad). While she can understand english perfectly, will ALWAYS watch a movie dubbed in french (Except when over at my place) OAR? Who cares!

Oldest sis (Younger than me though): Watches on an old, RF Input only mono

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Well, I was the one that you guys are talking about before joining the HTF. My wife was a big HT nut and we had purchased a very impressive system. One day I brought home a DVD that was Pan-und-$caM and she divorced me. It hurts to this day.

But hopefully now that I've learned from everyone here at the HTF, I'm a better man and can perhaps one day remarry.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
My wife will occasionally marvel at the picture on our HDTV but, I'm sure she could do without it if she had to.

Also, she just cannot relate to my obsession with perfect sound. "Why do we need a subwoofer!?!" My jaw just drops open and I stare at her blankly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks