Am I the only one who knows about new DVD's of THE STORY OF O and J-MEN FOREVER?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Edward Heuck, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Granted, our interest is always going to sway to the major-studio films that have yet to appear on DVD, but I am amazed that no one here has mentioned the release of two long-sought cult films of the '70's, Just Jaeckin's THE STORY OF O, and Proctor & Bergman's J-MEN FOREVER. I did not know J-MEN FOREVER had even been released until its producer Stuart Shapiro put the darned thing in my hot little hand!
    Well, here's what I can gather on these unseen discs. J-MEN FOREVER is on Shapiro's Cult DVD label (cultdvd.com), and is being distributed by Eclectic DVD (eclecticdvd.com), the same good people making sure the Canadian special edition of BLACK CHRISTMAS can be obtained in America. It is mastered from a digitally corrected video source, and has new interviews both with Phil Proctor and Peter Bergman of Firesign Theatre, but also with George Wallace, the orginal Commando Cody. I cannot find a label on THE STORY OF O, but it is a legitimate release from Canada, and it features a commentary by Just Jaeckin, and both the U.S. English and the longer French versions of the film. Apparently, many sellers on eBay have been "advance selling" this DVD, which streeted just yesterday.
    Anyone else have more info, or reviews on these? I think cult movie fans would like to know.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

When I was prepping my "Weekly Roundup" for this past Tuesday, I was going down the list of titles at both Image and Amazon to see if there was anything I missed. My wife was looking over my shoulder, and the J-Men Forever listing at Amazon caught her eye. She vaguely recalls watching this and enjoying it with her stepdad, but "it was a long time ago". This description from one reviewer at Amazon jogged her memory a bit, but not enough to "bite":

3. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

I am soooooooo all over this...
    *Just to clarify, I'm referring specifically to J-Men Forever. "Heyyyyy-y-y-y-y--o-o-ooooohhhh! Caped Madman... Away!"

4. Michael St. Clair

I won't be making my O face, but I just ordered J-Men from BN.COM (free shipping when buying 2 items). Thanks for the heads up!

5. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

6. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I am a big fan of the book, The Story of O, and I have always wanted to see this movie. I'll probably purchase the DVD.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

J-Men's out???? ON TO LA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The Story of O is a classic, and IMO far better than its sequel. Lots of soft filtered cinematography. I just hope they did a good job on it, as the old laserdisc was pretty bad. The cover art makes no mention of widescreen, and I don't have a copy yet.

9. David Lambert

Jeff, you might have missed it in my post above. The ad in Video Store Magazine says at the top:

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

That same ad is being used in a number of ebay listings for the disc. I just thought it odd that the actual DVD didn't list it as widescreen. With Anchor Bay releasing restored, anamorphic versions of all the Emmanuelle films next year, I hope this disc has a decent transfer, and not just a PAL to NTSC conversion of the French DVD it is modelled after. I guess we'll see...

11. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

12. Scott-L

Scott-L Agent

Great news on J-men Forever! It brings back memories of USA's Night Flight - where I originally saw it. One of the funniest movies ever.

13. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I picked up a copy of O last night, and have to say this is a strange release. The image quality is great, but there are no subtitles for the uncut French version, and Jaeckin's commentary is in French on both versions with an English overdub on the English cut.

14. David Lambert

So, Jeff...is it widescreen at least?

15. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It is widescreen, but just barely. It looks narrower than 1.66:1. Non anamorphic. I haven't compared the framing with the LD version.

16. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Mark,

All I can say is, YES! to the news about J-Men Forever! Man, I LOVED this film when I caught it on Night Flight, and my son and I watched it over and over on VHS. I've ordered two copies, one for him (now that he's married and living 1500 miles away) and one for me.

Thanks so much for the heads-up!

Jan

17. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter