What's new

Am I the only one who could care less about extras? (1 Viewer)

I see a lot of people talking about re-releases, SE's and the like. I know I'm probably in the minority here but I could really care less about the extras on DVD's. I've never really viewed any of them (except for Ebert's commentary tracks on Dark City and Citizen Kane, the man fascinates me for some reason). I check out a trailer every now and then but as far as the other stuff goes, I'd rather save the bandwidth for the picture and sound of the actual movie. I like the David Lynch approach. Less is More.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I agree with you to an extent...because I find that I don't watch "all" the extras very often...but I like the idea of being able to have them, so if in the future I want to watch them...I can.

I've probably checked out all of the extras on about a fourth of my 160 DVDs.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
oops, disagree there. I like the extras, I've always been a factoid/trivia nut, and the making-ofs, behind the scenes, commentaries etc teach me something about the movie (hopefully!)

don't get me wrong, I agree the movie is the most important thing (hence I haven't bothered with PotA 2001 despite its brilliant extras since the movie wasn't too hot), but I have often withheld purchasing a DVD in the hope that it gets reissued as a proper SE. since 2-disc sets are much the norm now, I don't really see the bandwidth trade-off as a huge problem.

note that this applies to "proper extras", if there's such a term, that are really informative. HBO's "First Look" are borderline, and the "famous lines" on the Dirty Harry set are a disgrace to the term "extra".

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I agree because there are so many extras that are absolute garbage. Those half-hour "behind-the-scenes documentaries" that are nothing but refried HBO commercials for the film are worthless. There's nothing more annoying than watching a movie, and then going to the "documentary" which is half-filled with clips from the movie I just watched!

Not to go over the Criterion argument again, but I think their supplements are truly the best. Most of the time, they advance your appreciation of the film. Same with Anchor Bay, to a lesser extent.

But since no one will ever agree on what's a valuable extra and what isn't, and the extras are a big selling point for DVDs, we'll continue to see special editions loaded with fluff "documentaries" and commentaries that are a chore to listen to. It's expensive and time-consuming to produce new supplemental material for a DVD.

M

MaxY

Extras can not make a bad movie good. They can heap them on but so far the closest an extra ever came to making a bad movie good were the two extra things in Jolie's shirt for Tomb Raider. :)
Now I think that extras generally fall into a few catagories.
1. Database/informational
I happen to like having a COMPLETE Filmography but will settle for a selected filmography of all the main characters in a movie. These are starting to dissappear though.
2. Promotional
These include trailers, TV/Movie Channel previews, interviews and that sort of stuff.
I can generally live without the stuff, though if I find the movie really enteretaining or maybe if it has some stars I am very interested in I will watch it.
3 Educational
These include truely eductional making of shows and explaintions of the story and motives of it's characters. Kind of like school study matarial if you were going to film school.
I will sometimes view this stuff on movies I really like.
Commentaries can fall into any of these catagories depending upon who is being interviewed and what is being said.
Well with that said one must remember The movie is the Thing so it must be done right with a widescreen transfer in OAR with the Original Audio Format and if they decide to add a souped up one in addtion to the OAF then all the better.
I prefer good bare bones transfers at $10 then overblown SEs at $30. :)
One must remember that Putting Whipped Cream and Hot Fudge on a Bowl of Dog Shit does not make it a good Dessert
Max

JohnMM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with you, Wallace. I would rather see the space on the DVD used for less compression of the movie.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I love deleted scenes and outtakes. Rarely are behind the scenes worth it. And I am sure I am in the extreme minority here but I really could care less about commentaries. I barely have enough time to watch the movie once much less listen to one or more commentaries as well.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I absolutely do NOT buy discs unless they come with a decent amount of special features. On my 19 inch TVCR combo without any additional speakers or sound system, DTS or anamorphic makes NO difference to me whatsoever. I also agree with what someone else says. There is no way I have viewed all the special features and commentaries on my 50 discs, but just knowing they are there for a rainy day contents me.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
While I will buy some of my favorite movies without extras, DVD's should have extras! I always tell people at work when they say that they don't like extras ("I don't like all that extra crap") that they can purchase the VHS version for cheaper. That way the anti-widescreen people and the anti-extra people can get together and have a great big VHS party! :D

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
No Wallace, you are not alone. I have just reached 1000 DVDs in my collection, and I never watch any extras. I'm in the group that would prefer the space be used for less compression of the movie, such as in the SuperBit series.

Deane

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
Out of all 500+ DVD's I own I've listened to only 3 commentaries: The Goonies, The Blair Witch Project, and Eye of the Beholder, all for different reasons of course. As for all the other supplements I usually see them just once. I like all the bells and whistles of DVD but the picture, sound, and nondegradable quality are what keeps me buying them.

John

Eric Porter

Auditioning
Like Frank I enjoy outtakes and deleted scenes but never watch the other extras or listen to the commentaries. I did a few times when I first got into Laser Discs but I always found them to be a little boring. Just give me the movie and I'll be fine :)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Personally, I dig extras, especially on older and obscure films. But if redundant and space-filling extras and un-enthusiastic commentaries meant release more catalog titles per year, I'd be all for it.

I always tell people at work when they say that they don't like extras ("I don't like all that extra crap") that they can purchase the VHS version for cheaper.
Adam_WM... it's inaccurate and unfair to imply that people who aren't crazy about extras don't appreciate the benefits of the DVD format over VHS. Many of them do.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I agree Wallace, I don't really care for extras either but to a degree. If I buy a comedy I really, really want to see outtakes and not deleted scenes but some funny Cannonball Run type outtakes, I also like the directors' commentary to most movies. I don't mind if one of my favorite movies is bone dry IF it is it's OAR but it better not be prices too high.

So just give me bloopers and a commentary and I am fine.

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I absolutely love deleted scenes and director's cuts. Some behind-the-scenes features can be good, some aren't. I haven't gotten into the commentary thing as yet, though.

Mark_Davis

Grip
As ever OAR, well presented transfer and accomplished soundtrack are top priorities on my buyers guide...

I bought a featureless R2 edition of Highlander because I couldn't bare to own the nasty artefact ridden mess that was the R1 even though it had more extras.

Now that AB have rereleased it however I have bought the updated version and sold on my bare bones edition.

So yes they are nice to have and I usually upgrade for filsm I love but if the picture and/or sound isn't up to scratch then they can forget it.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Some movies are good enough to buy barebones (A Clockwork Orange). Some are decent, but require a hefty dose of extra content to warrant a purchase (Say Anything). It's all a matter of how much bang I'm getting for my buck.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
While I do like extras, I agree that the movie's sound and picture quality should come FIRST. If there is room after that for extras, then that's icing on the cake (or have the extras on a separate disc). So often the so-called special features are just advertisment/fluff pieces, not true insight into the filmmaking process.

Dan

Kami

Screenwriter
Off topic gripe:
It's "couldn't care less"...not "could care less"...think about it for a moment.
One of my pet peeves ;)
But no, I really do like special features. Sure I usually only watch them ONCE but it makes the purchase worth more money to me. All of the LOTR features on the upcoming 5 disc set has me pumped :) Of course I live and breathe these movies so I am interested in EVERYTHING about them.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
I also like deleted scenes, outtakes and good commentaries. I also enjoy a GOOD documentary, such as the ones that came with Citize Kane, Gladiator and Brazil to name a few. But as far as "Making Of's" filmography's and 90% of the other stuff, they can keep it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks