What's new

Am I The Only One Tired of Previews? (1 Viewer)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
The practice of adding previews to television sets and movies has gotten way behind annoying. The only way to get past them is by hitting the next chapter button, and sometimes you can't even do that. Previews are rapidly outdated and become a real pain in the you-know-what. Is there anything worse than commercials for "Coming Soon to Theaters" when the picture has long since come and gone? Or "Coming Soon to DVD" that's been out for years (and you may already have)?

This is one basket of rose petals have to throw in CBS/Paramount's path. I have yet to see a TV release that doesn't just show their quick logo and then go right to the main menu.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I agree, the volume of these things especially on Blu-Ray is getting out of hand especially with their underhanded ways of keeping you from getting past them right away.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
No, since I've never came across one that couldn't be skipped.

And most of the time, I have to actively seek them out if I wanted one to play. I've never came across anything as forced as described in the original post, but I'm sure I'd share your disdain for the practice if I ever do.

What I really love is being treated like a criminal with the products I've legitimately purchased, with those non-skipable warnings that have only gotten more threatening it seems.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Is there anything worse than commercials for "Coming Soon to Theaters"

Yes, the FBI warning. I dislike the previews; I HATE the FBI warning.

I don't remember experiencing any unskippable previews, but I do get unskippable "credit" roles, the ones that list the 27 companies involved in the release. At least it feels like 27.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Add to that the constant need to make some kind of loud noise to jolt your ass. This is great late at night. Jack-holes.

Criterion discs show a brief logo, then you're at the main menu. See? It can be done! I guess the FBI gave them a pass.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
MPI has unskippable logos on The Beverly Hillbillies Ultimate Collection

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Every time I load a disc I fume at the thought of how much of *my* time has been wasted with unskippable content, whether it be the distributor logo (as if I care), "Coming attractions" which require skipping or fast forwarding (why can't they just let you skip instead of forcing a ff function or better yet when you press "menu" actually have it go to the main menu?), anti-theft warnings, commentary disclaimers, and/or animated menus you must endure before "Play" is allowed. And don't even get me started on the travesty Disney calls "Fast Play!"

I even get annoyed when a distributor (I'm looking at *you* Universal) now owns rights to another studio's product and *adds* their logo to the film/episode open (Universal even adds their modern color one at the front of older Uni titles already having a BW logo!) or (this time it's *you* CBS) adds their logo at the end of a episode as if they actually had something to do with the production.

If I want to know what studio produced a product I can watch credits. If I care who the current distributor is I can look at the box. I don't need nor want this shoved in my face on every movie or at the beginning of every TV episode. Just give me a static menu with *no* music and when I press play have the movie/episode start and play as it originally played in the theater or on TV with *nothing* added or removed.

I recently purchased a BR copy of The Black Shield of Falworth. It's a region free import that does things right. When the disc loads it *immediately* comes up on a static menu with no animation or music. When you hit Play the movie actually starts with no warnings or added logos! I wish US companies would do things this way.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
"Forced" is the key word for me. I don't mind seeing previews, especially when I pop in a disc for the first time. But I DO want the power to skip them. "Dead Man Down" is a movie I never heard of until I saw the preview on one of my discs. It was an enjoyable movie I might otherwise not have seen.

The trailer for "Insidious 2" just sounds really awesome to me so I like to watch that over and over. Nice sub action, good panning effects. Not my kind of movie, but the trailer is worth a watch.

Warnings, logos, disclaimers, even more logos can go away. And the worst offender are bluray commercials. Why do I need bluray commercials on the bluray disc I'm watching?

So yes, I partially agree. Get rid of things being "forced", and I'd be satisfied. Pressing "menu" to skip ahead is a nice option.

One thing I do, is when I'm ready to start, I go to Chapters instead of Play, usually skips some of the offenders.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Every time I load a disc I fume at the thought of how much of *my* time has been wasted with unskippable content, whether it be the distributor logo (as if I care), "Coming attractions" which require skipping or fast forwarding (why can't they just let you skip instead of forcing a ff function or better yet when you press "menu" actually have it go to the main menu?), anti-theft warnings, commentary disclaimers, and/or animated menus you must endure before "Play" is allowed. And don't even get me started on the travesty Disney calls "Fast Play!"

I even get annoyed when a distributor (I'm looking at *you* Universal) now owns rights to another studio's product and *adds* their logo to the film/episode open (Universal even adds their modern color one at the front of older Uni titles already having a BW logo!) or (this time it's *you* CBS) adds their logo at the end of a episode as if they actually had something to do with the production.

If I want to know what studio produced a product I can watch credits. If I care who the current distributor is I can look at the box. I don't need nor want this shoved in my face on every movie or at the beginning of every TV episode. Just give me a static menu with *no* music and when I press play have the movie/episode start and play as it originally played in the theater or on TV with *nothing* added or removed.

I recently purchased a BR copy of The Black Shield of Falworth. It's a region free import that does things right. When the disc loads it *immediately* comes up on a static menu with no animation or music. When you hit Play the movie actually starts with no warnings or added logos! I wish US companies would do things this way.
If anything, I wish CBS would go retro (never will happen I know) and give us the old V of Doom Viacom logo on programs that were vintage enough to have them. Catching The Beverly Hillbillies in syndication, I well remember the V of Doom. I know it isn't Viacom distributing it to home video, but it would still be fun.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Yes, the FBI warning. I dislike the previews; I HATE the FBI warning.

I don't remember experiencing any unskippable previews, but I do get unskippable "credit" roles, the ones that list the 27 companies involved in the release. At least it feels like 27.
My favorite part about the FBI warning on many discs I own: You cannot skip past it, nor can you pause it to actually read it. lol

Double whammy for that worthless addition. (For the consumer at least.)

The irony. :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
My favorite part about the FBI warning on many discs I own: You cannot skip past it, nor can you pause it to actually read it. lol

Double whammy for that worthless addition. (For the consumer at least.)

The irony. :)

When my daughter was about 8 years, she could just read the first lines, of course (like we could) and came to "schools and prisons".
"So those are similar places, according to the FBI", she said. :lol:

Cees

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Nobody likes being held captive by those things! But hey I have fun with the logos from the RUSCICO movie discs. I have a whole big collection of classic Russian fantasy movies and that RUSCICO logo just scares the Ебена мать out of me and the dogs! I scream out "KGB!!!" every time! lol I've watched about 6 or 7 of those since Christmas and it got me everytime! You're waiting for that lovely old fantasy with beautiful music and WHAM!!! KGB!!! :D I swear I paid top prices for all those for crying out loud!

Ruscico.png

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Like on the second-season (1976-77) DVD release of Laverne & Shirley; the credits have a 1976 or 1977 copyright for Paramount Pictures Corporation, but the logo we get is not for Paramount Television-- rather, it is for CBS Paramount Television. CBS had nothing to do with the original production of Laverne & Shirley (it was a Paramount production under Gulf+Western, made for ABC), so why does CBS feel the need to replace the original Blue Mtn. Paramount logo with Gulf+Western byline with the incredibly lame (IMO) CBS Paramount Television logo with a background of Eyemarks and Paramount logos?!

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The RHI Entertainment Inc Logo that precedes and follows every short in "The Little Rascals" RHI/Vivendi DVD sets. More annoying still is that sometimes the Logo pops up before the End Credit music has finished, when the screen should be black! For me, this completely sullies any idea of ever using the "Play All" feature! On the other hand, their "Laurel And Hardy: The Essential Collection" DVD set doesn't feature any between the titles Logos, but lacks any "Play All" feature! Oh, the irony!

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The RHI Entertainment Inc Logo that precedes and follows every short in "The Little Rascals" RHI/Vivendi DVD sets. More annoying still is that sometimes the Logo pops up before the End Credit music has finished, when the screen should be black! For me, this completely sullies any idea of ever using the "Play All" feature! On the other hand, their "Laurel And Hardy: The Essential Collection" DVD set doesn't feature any between the titles Logos, but lacks any "Play All" feature! Oh, the irony!

Why the need for that RHI logo to precede and follow every single short?! I mean, don't we know that RHI put that release out? Apparently they don't think we know it.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Why the need for that RHI logo to precede and follow every single short?! I mean, don't we know that RHI put that release out? Apparently they don't think we know it.
I honestly have no idea what RHI's motivation might have been. It is the 7 individual RHI/Vivendi Revised Reissue DVD Volumes from 2011 that I have. I don't know whether The Little Rascals Complete Collection DVD set from 2008 by RHI/Genius Entertainment is as obnoxious with the RHI Logo placement.

CHEERS! :)

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Previews might be annoying but they help advertise & sell other product. It is a business, after all.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Talking about unskippable previews, I have a few sets with post it notes on them reminding me to put them in, get to the previews, then go to the bathroom or do something for x number of minutes. It's the only way for me not to go out of my mind. I PAID for these sets. I should at least have the option of skipping this stuff. Lucky only two sets that I repeatedly watch have the damn things.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Previews might be annoying but they help advertise & sell other product. It is a business, after all.

If they want to give me the disk for free, they can feel free to pack in all the ads they want, but I've paid for them and I don't want ads. I feel the same way about ads at movie theaters. It's one of the main reasons I rarely go to movie houses any more. It's not broadcast television where the program is free.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I feel the same way about ads at movie theaters. It's one of the main reasons I rarely go to movie houses any more. It's not broadcast television where the program is free.

And worse yet, you can't skip ads at movie theaters, even if those ads are some of the dumbest around (and from what I've heard, sometimes they are)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks