Directors Am I the only one that likes to see the Equipment Displays?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Orlando, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the process of building a new HT and I trying to decide where to put the equipment. Most advice it to lock it in a closet or some other unseen place.

But I'm one of those people that likes to easily see how far into the movie I am or how much is left. Or what time it is, what channel is on or how loud I have the receiver set to. Am I strange and is this totally crazy? Or am I at least a part of a quiet minority just keeping our mouths shut?

Please help me understand where I stand and post you comments.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’m not sure where you are getting your advice Orlando. If you choose to go the ‘lock the equipment in a closet route, you should be aware of a couple of things. Make sure that you have adequate ventilation in the closet. Electronic equipment gets hot and too much heat will increase the failure rate of your equipment. Receivers get especially hot.

You will also need to use RF remotes, as infrared won’t work with the equipment out of sight.

Also setting up and calibrating your equipment is more difficult when it is in a different room.

As far as being weird, I can’t say, other than to wonder why you care to visually understand how high the volume is set. [​IMG]

3. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

My rack is not too far to the right of my TV since I have a standard family room type set-up and don't have the area to hide my equipment. I don't think I'd want to anyway. I also like to see the volume knob as I'm increasing or lowering the sound, and especially like to be able to view the running time at a glance.

4. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator

Hey Lew,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah all of the considerations where thought about. I already have the RF remote stuff for my projector which is behind the seating.

As far as volume settings as Brook mentioned it is always helpful to know when I should stop turning it up. ;D