What's new

Am I the only one that likes DSP programs? (1 Viewer)

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps I'm just a simple person but my Yamaha RX-V520 seems to be right on with it's DSP settings.

TV Sports is great, Adventure is super for Adventures Sci-Fi is great for Sci-Fi and Enhanced when I can get a DTS signel.

I guess you love them or hate them.

DaleR

Stunt Coordinator
rod

ihave a 520, also. the only dsps i've really given a good audition to are 5 channel stereo and mono movie. i have to admit though that those two are very good. i'm curious about your other thoughts about the 520. i think it's great and gets short shrift from others whom only seem willing to recommend denon, marantz, et al..

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
No, your not, but I see you have a Yamaha. No big surprise. Yamaha has been doing DSPs first and best for a long time in my opinion. I have a RX-V1200 and use the 70mm and 35mm alot, as well as tv sports some times. Otherwise I use the DPLII modes.

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
I like the Yamaha a lot - WAS going to buy the 420 but there were no S-Video cable connections.

I think Yamaha RX-V520 is the best (most bells and whistles) you can get at that price range. My take is that they are priced to out sell the same class of reciever and they make money on return buyers.

I looks at 5 reciever in that price range and the Yamaha was the winner.

I and no one I know are employed by the Yamaha people :)

5 channel stereo is great for music - have not tried Mono Movie. Perhaps it's all in my head. For a while I was not happy with any of them because I could never decide. Then I gave in and went with their suggestions and I'm pretty happy (call me simple).

I'm sure as I get to know the reciever more I'll get more "in tune" with it.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I don't "mind" the DSP modes, but then again...I don't use them much, if at all. When I did use them, they weren't all that objectionable, but I didn't see a reason to keep using them as they seemed more gimmicky than anything.

Bruce

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
i like the enhanced mold the best, on yamaha you can adjust all your dsp molds to your room, to make them sound more real, yamaha is the best for that.
:) joe

DaleR

Stunt Coordinator
rod
i don't think you are simple. after all you were clever enough (like me:D ) to buy the best receiver in its price range! last night i listened/watched the movie "A Bridge Too Far" on vhs in 70mm 'spectacle' mode and the sound was very good. even my fiance (who admits to being unable to distinguish the difference between am radio and the carnegie hall) thought that the sound was impressive. i think that the 520 impresses more and more as time goes on.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The love/hate of DSP modes seems to break right along the same lines as Music vs HT.
Music lovers want total accuracy. They dont want anything that might sabotage this. These systems shun DSP modes, tone controls, etc.
HT is more about an experience. Over-emphasized special effects, background music, etc., are all part of the fun. DSP modes fit right in.
So when someone says "Hate em" or "Love em" with DSP modes, you can almost tell how they use their systems. :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm not a big fan of dsp, but i must admit of all the ones i heard yamaha was the best.

bottom line: if you like it, then that's all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks