What's new

Am I the only one is DOES NOT want to see Lord of the rings? (1 Viewer)

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Nope. You're NOT the only one (and that is not a typo). I read the trilogy and The Hobbit many years ago and was bored worthless by them. Just not my cup of tea
I'm wondering if the rabid fans here are overestimating the movie's appeal, based on their love of the books. Consider: most movie-goers are late teens/early 20s, and most of these people haven't read the book either. Might it bomb among that crowd?
Judging by the trailer (and how much can you really tell from a trailer??), it looks well done, but I just have no interest. Time will tell.
To those of you who are first in line, enjoy!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I guess it's time to get out the van, the black hoods, and the duct tape and teach these youngins right!
From what my mom tells me, the books were THE in thing in the 60s. After all, what other book can claim to be the genesis of nationwide graphitti? (Frodo lives, which has been co-opted by Frito-Lay for their promotion, grr)
Jeff Kleist

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Darn.
I guess I am the minority.
I guess I should get into it, but I'm so much more mature for my age then most 15 year olds.
Fantasy and Magic stuff is just plain... uugggg! I just don't like it.
I like History.
I know kids my age who read Harry Potter and watch Pokemon. Comeon, grow up!
------------------
"Um, ER, uh, No, it's not a bedroom HT, I just love it so much, I sleep in it."
"Way to go Dallas!!!"

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
quote: I'm wondering if the rabid fans here are overestimating the movie's appeal, based on their love of the books. Consider: most movie-goers are late teens/early 20s, and most of these people haven't read the book either. Might it bomb among that crowd?[/quote]Tolkien fans are disproportionately well represented on the Internet, to be sure, and automatically assuming that the film will obliterate all box office records is almost certainly wishful fanboy thinking, along the lines of the "Phantom Menace will kick Titanic's ass!" predictions of a few years ago.
However, when you talk about Tolkien you're talking about a fan base that's been steadily building since 1937 (and exploding in recent years, due to publicity surrounding the film).
A lot of people outside the fabled 18-25 demographic, who wouldn't ordinarily see a big-budget FX film, might well be lured into theaters on the basis of the good Professor's name. Remember the biggest Tolkien fan directly involved in the production was Christopher Lee, who's pushing 80.
I guess I should get into it, but I'm so much more mature for my age then most 15 year olds.
In addition to the fanboy-bait elements (dragons, wizards, monsters, etc.) there's also a thematic richness and complexity to Tolkien's work that your less "mature" peers will be in a position to appreciate as they get older. Don't count yourself out too hastily.
As for myself, I'm 29, a recent but thorough convert to the Professor's unique imagination, and couldn't be more excited about Dec. 19.
--Jefferson Morris
[Edited last by Jefferson Morris on October 31, 2001 at 02:10 PM]

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
The ONLY reason I'm interested in seeing it is because of Viggo Mortensen. Otherwise, I couldn't care less.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
LOTR hits me about a 7 on a scale of 10 on the curiousity meter. I will probably end up seeing it with my wife as she is really into wizards and such.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I haven't read the books, but how could I NOT want to see it after the stellar trailers? I think people predicting it will be less successful than the Tolkienites claim are going to be surprised. I haven't seen a single movie in the theater this year, but I've finally found something to get excited about (though, it must be said, it won't be the first; I'm definitely going to The Man Who Wasn't There and Harry Potter). Friends of mine who also don't go to the movies much are also excited. Unless they've managed to turn a dreadful movie into a great trailer, it's going to be terrific.
Which, of course, is not to say that your opinion is wrong, Nathan. Most HTFers would be appalled at some the movies I didn't see/didn't want to see. But, that's why all of us are different. :)

Kami

Screenwriter
Fantasy and Magic stuff is just plain... uugggg! I just don't like it.
I like History.
Are you saying Tolkien is for 15 year olds? You're 15 and not interested in "fantasy," yeah that makes you a lot more mature.
rolleyes.gif
:P
LOTR isn't stereotypical fantasy per se...it has so many more elements. Yes it does have wizards, orcs, monsters, elves and dwarves but it's a lot more. And you like history? Well then Tolkien is for you. Especially if you get into the other stuff after LOTR such as The Simarillion. Read the trilogy and you may be surprised. :)
As for me... see my sig. :)
------------------
riders2.jpg

-Adam
(a.k.a. kami)
My budding DVD collection
[Edited last by Kami on October 31, 2001 at 04:14 PM]

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
OK, flame suit on. I haven't read any of the Tolkien books or any of the Harry Potter books.
I'm very interested in seeing HP and have no interest in LOTR. Go figure....
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Seeing as how you're only 15, I'm making an assumption that you haven't read the novels.
I don't see what age has to do with it... Several years ago, when I was in JUNIOR high, I can recall the trilogy in it's various forms would almost always be checked out of the school library. The school library's paperback of Fellowship is what first got me into LOTR, truth be told.
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist
Potter is coming...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Nathan, does a cat drink milk?
I love being cryptic. :)
ps. There's a horrible giant spider in LOTR (ok ok I'm just trying to help out here), and you get to see Liv Tyler have a nude swim (worth a shot).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I know kids my age who read Harry Potter..come on!
I know adults (myself included) who read Harry Potter! They're quite good books. Not in the same league as LOTR, but excellent in their own right.
Remember, an aspect of maturity is understanding that just because something appeals to kids doesn't mean it's not good, or "inappropriate" for adults. :)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The Fifth Element has nudity and is PG-13.
As for LOTR, I'll see it, but I'm not as enthusiastic about it as some other movies, like Monsters Inc., The Royal Tennenbaums, and The Man Who Wasn't There.

Brian Vaughan

Stunt Coordinator
I was initially skeptical about whether they would be able to pull off all of the special effects that are in the book. However, I was lucky enough to attend a 25 minute extended press preview and I was blown away. I have never seen CGI like this. I now have no fear that they will not be able to recreate the scenes in the book effectively. My only complaint was Sean Astin's lame Irish accent. Unfortunately, that can't be corrected by the folks at ILM.
------------------
Here's the theater:
http://home.nyc.rr.com/lasciviousboasts/theater.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks