Am I the only one here with Obsessive Cumpolsive Disorder? :)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Feb 3, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

It would be nice to know that I'm not the only one dealing with 'problems' like this below, heh. Bear with me on this folks, I'll try to keep it as small as possible [​IMG].

I have Obsessive Cumpolsive Disorder, like Mark Summers has, only with Cleanliness. However now it seems to have worked it's way into my driving. Nothing too serious, just enough to turn a short trip into a bit longer one as to be an annoyance...

Even though deep down I knew I was fine, I just turned a quick 4 minute trip into a longer ten minute one. All because of one simple turn. Garbage Truck in front of me, me behind the truck, both behind a stop sign. The GT turns and stops on the street. The Garbade Man jumps off, and looks at me, then waves and says go. I wave back a thanks, look to see if it's OK, and then go. As I turn, the GT starts backing up, and I realize, maby he wasn't waving at me, but at the GT instead.

This is enough doubt to cause a Brain Lock to start and instinct wanting me to double check it just to make sure I was right. So, two double checks and 10 minutes later, I decide everything is fine and drive off.

EVERY time I double check to see something, it's fine. I know I'm fine, I just need something to break that train of thought, so I can get on with enjoying driving again. Just wondering if anyone else with OCD has this problem, and if they where able to 'Break The Brain Lock', so to speak?

Thanks!

2. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Well, at least you don't suffer from paranoia. But at least it answers the age old "Am I the only one..." question. [​IMG]

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

My disorder stems from being an editor. No offense, but it's spelled compulsive.

4. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

No offense, but it's spelled compulsive>

Whoops, my bad.

5. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Oh great. Now he'll have to spend ten minutes checking every post he writes to make sure his spelling is correct.

[​IMG]

I get brain lock from time to time too.

6. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

My best friend developed this after a really
    traumatic period in his life.
    But, he sought professional help, and it did the trick.
    According to his doctor, this is one of the most
    treatable disorders.

7. Joseph Howard

Joseph Howard Stunt Coordinator

Man... I had to check and re-read this thread three times to make sure it said what it said. [​IMG]

On the serious side, I think most people have certain behaviors that they are compulsive about. It is just when it invades every aspect of your life that it gets really bad.

Of, course this is coming from a person that MUST brush each surface of his teeth 8 times.

Dr. Joe

8. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Is there anybody here that DOESN'T have OCD?

Okay, maybe not to the point where it has a serious negative impact on their lives, but if any hobby could be accurately termed "compulsive," this one, home theater, and it's related obsession, the drive for perfection in audio and video reproduction, would be it.

Ah, but wait, they're playing music from an actual LP now on WQXR. So lovely to hear that constant thrumming rush of needle over vinyl .... [​IMG]

9. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I believe I have obsessive compulsive disorder to a certain extent.

Whenever I'm about to leave the house, I make sure all appliances are unplugged and that there are no cigarettes burning in any ash trays. BUT, I take that a step further, I'll go take every ashtray in the house (even if I'm sure I haven't used it that morning or evening) and fill them with water and after waiting, I'll fill them again and finally dump them in the garbage and then pour water on top of all that! For some reason I fear starting a fire even though I have never done such a thing before.
    I'll get in my car after securing the house and then come back in to make sure everything is as it should be. After doing this a few times I'll finally leave.

I think this stems from a tramatic fire I was in back in 1992. I lost everything I owned and could have easily been killed in the fire. The fire started in the walls from a faulty electrical wire and I woke up for some odd reason (I always slept in but not this time!) I went downstairs and after getting a glass of water heard noises coming from upstairs as if someone was jumping or walking around up there. I knew that couldn't be possible so I attempted to go upstairs only to see pitch black smoke wafting down towards me. At that point the TV upstairs exploded. I tried to put a blanket on my face to go upstairs and try to save my bird Petey but was dragged out of the home by neighbors who called the fire department. That was a bad day, maybe thats why I try to make sure over and over again that there is no chance of a fire in my home, even though it wasn't my fault that the other one started?

Oh yeah I forgot:
    The fire department told me I was lucky I woke up, as the carbon monoxide from the fire might have made me fall into a deeper sleep or coma and I wouldn't have made it out alive.[​IMG]

10. andrew markworthy

11. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

12. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>He showed me the pictures ... It put me off food for the next day. >

Damn. Even though it's not good to feel better inspite of anothers problems, that makes me feel a little better. As annoying as these habits of mine are, they've never gotten worse, only repetative.

And in a response to the fire note... I guess mine started when I was pulled over for an illegal U-Turn(waited till it was clear, made a U-Turn on a 2-way, 4-lane road to get a spot). Father forgot to renew the insurance, and I had to go to court for it. I guess the goody two shoes in me got spooked straight in that one small encounter. Ever since then, I guess I've been second guessing what I do and it's making me unsure of myself.

I get really self introspective if I see an accident on the road when I head back about 20-30 minutes later. For instance, a real close call if I had left no more than 15 seconds later frome home. It happend in 2000, but I remember as if it where yesterday..

I'm driving along, no more than 30 seconds away from the Wayne Hills mall entrance by the bookstore. I make that hilltop 'turn' by the Outback Steakhouse. I don't remember seeing anything out of the ordinary. Light ahead of me is green. Cars around me seem to be going fine. Then I hear tires screetching. I don't dare look back, but I hear that and a car honking. I head to the mall, do what I have to do, but my mind is running through the event double checking my progress as I hear sirens heading to the scene. Deep down I know I'm fine, I had the right of way, everything was good to go. Didn't see any cars turning in front of me. But I run through it a few times anyway. I get so uncomfortable as to head back home 20-30 minutes later and see a decent sized accident.

My guess is someone got impatient coming out of the outback parking lot, and as soon as I passed, made a blind turn. With that road, you can't see the cars coming untill their right over the hill.

Stuff like that gets the Brain Lock going and makes me avoid driving for a while untill I get my courage back.

13. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

Eve, your neighbors saved Petey but didn't attempt to wake or even save you?

14. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

I guess my OCD is that I always make sure I am clean where the sun doesn't shine after droppin a few deuces. :b

15. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

If you have OCD then Prozac, Paxil, and Zoloft may be your best friend. [​IMG]

Jeff

16. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

17. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I did try some medication for a while. My father had a NECA convention to Bermuda, I beleive it was, for a week. The hotel didn't exactly have dryers and washers I could use around the clock, so I needed something to let me enjoy the holiday.

It worked for about 3 weeks, but after that, it sort of wore off and I went back to my normal self.

But man, it was nice not to take a shower for 2 days again, just like I used to before 1996, compared to my 2 for one day schedule I have now :/. Maby I should see what's new out there and give it a try.

18. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

I think most people have certain quirks like the ones described here. It's nothing serious. For instance, I always have to have the stereo on an increment of 5. 35, 40, 45, but nothing in between. My wife will often turn it down to 37 or something and I just have to put it on 35 or 40. Don't know why.

19. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Zane,

That's definitely OCD and not just a "Quirk". I have the same issue. In my car (since everything is now digital), everything has to be set to an even number...the heat has to be 66, 68, 70, etc. and not 67 or 69...the radio volume has to be (according to my stereo) 20, 22, 24, etc. and not 21 or 23. I don't know why either. Sometimes OCD doesn't make sense at all. Just because the act may seem "trivial" doesn't mean it's not serious. But, I guess, as long as it doesn't cause you stress or control your life, then you can think of it as a "quirk", but keep it in the back of your mind that it's an OCD trait and make sure it doesn't start to get worse because OCD habits are HARDER to break, the longer you let them continue.

20. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Mark,

I'm not saying what I have or anyone else has is NOT OCD, I'm just saying that it's USUALLY not a serious thing. I've been an even-numbered guy for as long as I can remember, and it has never controlled any aspect of my life. That's not to say others that have the same or similar problems are in the same position, but I think it's safe to say that for most of us it's a pretty minor thing. Of course, if it starts seriously interfering with your life, that's a whole other thing.