Am I the only one here who REALLY enjoys Poirot?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dana Fillhart, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

I held out on getting the last 4 individual Acorn Media releases, because I figured they'd put 'em all in another one of those box sets like they did with their other 6 releases...and sure enough, they did. Picked the set up at Border's for ~$55 (seeing as no other retailer was carrying the set around here), and watched them all in 2 days.
    I purchased all that have come out -- the 2 Acorn Media box sets and the 3 from A&E. I've no idea how many more are left to go, but I'll definitely pick them up. It's funny, I find it hard to get into a mystery novel, but I can't get enough of a mystery show on TV. Loved Matlock. Murder She Wrote...well, nah [​IMG] But "regular" TV shows that had an episode devoted to solving a mystery, I always enjoyed them.
    With Poirot, though, it's a whole different ball o' wax. The producers of the show have done a fantastic job of bringing these Agatha Christie characters to life (even if they're a bit 1-dimensional at times). I love the little quirks Suchet's Poirot displays in each episode, as well as learning of the idiosynchracies of the other regulars.
    So, any other Poirot-philes here? (Careful pronouncing that word, you might get uncomfortable stares from unenlightened folk [​IMG])

2. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

You are the only one.

3. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

I like the books very much, but the TV movies I saw didn't do much for me.

4. andrew markworthy

Dana, you are not alone! I really enjoy them, and think they are far better than the books. I think any one-dimensionality in the characters can be attributed to Agatha Christie's writing rather than the actors.

Re-runs of the shows are on most days on Brit satellite TV, and I must have seen all of them 3 or 4 times each. Incidentally, they are still making new episodes (albeit sporadically) - there was a new 2 hour episode a couple of weeks ago on Brit (terrestrial) TV, so I guess you should be seeing it on your side of the Herring Pond fairly soon.

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I absolutely adored them when I first saw them on "Mystery!", even archiving them on tape, but after a while I fell out of the habit of watching "Mystery!" - no cable in my dorm in college, and you can't get good reception of PBS in Worcester, MA, the armpit of New England.

Also, my favorite episodes of "Poirot" were the short stories - the novel adaptations were good, but when adapting the shorts, the writer was able to flesh out rather than compress, making for better television.

The same writer - Clive Exton(?) - also did the fantastic "Jeeves & Wooster" series, IIRC.

6. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I'm also a big fan of the Poirot series. David Suchet and the rest of the cast are spot on. The series really captures the look of the period and the feel of the Christie books.
    Unfortunately, while I have all the released DVDs, I've yet to see any of them! [​IMG]

7. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

Me too!! i started watching years ago on PBS and eventually read "The 12 Labors of Hercule(s)" but it was very "1 dimensional" and never read Christie again.