What's new

Am I the only guy that has ever heard of Peter Murphy? (1 Viewer)

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
He has 6 or 7 CDs out and the guy ROCKS.

I found a CD and have not listened to for a couple years - WOW he is awesome. Hard to explain - Peter Gabrial-ish I suppose.

I'm listening to Deep at the moment.

I'm going to have to look into more of his music.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Ah yes, but have you heard of Bauhaus? Bauhaus had Peter Murphy, and Daniel Ash/David J Haskins who became Love and Rockets.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I don't recall his music but I've heard the name. Radio Paradise plays a couple of songs from him that I listen to in the internet (streaming audio)...

If he compares to PG, then he must be good. :)

Jay

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
unfortunately, he never really broke through. i guess indigo eyes or scarlet thing in you would be his biggest hit.

i think i only have one of his cd's (the one with indigo eyes).

extra points to mark for knowing about bauhaus and tipping me off to the love 'n' rockets tie-in. :)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
No, you're not the only guy. I love his voice.

Side Note: Glen Philips from Toad the Wet Sprocket did a nice impression of him(P. Murphy) on the verses of All I Want.

Compare the verse deliveries from "All I Want" by Toad and "Cuts You Up" (HIS BIGGEST HIT) by Peter Murphy.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
where the hell ya been zen?

----

side note. to this day i still kick myself for not picking up this awesome wall-sized poster for love n rockets. it was for "so alive" and featured this red silhouette of shapely legs against a black n white background. damn! :angry:

now that i got that off my chest, i return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I think Peter's problem was that he came across as a bit of a wuss. Seriously. Bauhaus didn't have that problem, but, on his own, he was so delicate... I think this hurt his chances of becoming a "star", since he didn't have the manliness of Peter Gabriel. Just a theory. How's that live CD of his, anyway?

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm

This really made me laugh, I have listened to PG since Genesis, and loved much of what he's done, but I can't say 'manliness' has been his most defining trait.
With regards to Peter Murphy, I'll second Martin's reply, Bauhaus were great, but their solo work after they split has not been so hot. He did some work with Mick Karn (bass player from Japan and others) that might be worthwhile to check...
Now, tonight I think I'll watch The Hunger, the opening scene of Bauhaus playing Bela Lugosi's Dead at the disco gives PG a real match for manliness ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks