Am I searching for the impossible?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BryanDO, May 25, 2006.

1. BryanDO

BryanDO Stunt Coordinator

I've been trying for years to replicate the sound i want from my home theater. I have yet to find it. I'm looking for a nice balance between all freqencies without any gaps in the range. Right now I'm using Athena bookshelves as fronts and the AS-C1 center. I've never felt there was a good balance between them, the highs are overpowering, and the mids are lacking. I've tried several subs including a 3cu ft Shiva ported to 20Hz with 360 watts. I then tried a smaller Dayton DLS 10 sub. All in all, I've never liked the sound. There was always parts that were more powerful and other that were tame.

My question is, can full range tower speakers fill the frequency spectrum , 30-20k? I was looking at Wharfedale Diamond 8.4's, yamaha ns-555, Axiom M60's, B&W DM330i's. I found these on Ebay for great prices. My price limit is around 450 US. I like a more laid back and warm sound and I have never owned full range towers. I can't go for big bass due to apartment living so the lack of a sub isn't a problem.

You guys think it's a feasable idea? Thanks..

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hi Bryan,
    Sure they can. But that doesn’t automatically, or in and of itself, mean you’ll be satisfied with the sound. One disadvantage to full-range speakers is that you can’t dedicate an equalizer to the bass frequencies, so you’re just struck with whatever bass they give you in your room.

Part of the problem might be that you aren’t matching your speakers to your room. I suggest reading Part 2 of this article, especially since you are considering full-range towers
    http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ed-how-do.html

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. BryanDO

Thanks alot Wayne for the reference. I always knew room gain affected bass, but I'v learned alot from that page about higher frequencies as well, even though he couldn't tell me why, technically, room gain happens [​IMG] Great article.

Can I use an equalizer in my system if I'm just using a receiver? If so what's a budget option and where would it wire in?

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You can definitely use an EQ with your reciever. Many people here use the Behringer Feedback Destroyer (BFD) to equalize their subwoofers. It goes for a little over $100.

5. BryanDO

I've heard of the Beringer before, it's something to look into. Is there anything that can equalize the entire frequency range for all my speakers?

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Typically no with most of todays receivers as there would need to an amp out and amp in loop. These used to be more common but are rarely found these days. That said if you purchased an external amplifer you could insert an EQ between the receiver and the amp but you'd likely be well above you budget as stated. Inserting a BFD should help your subwoofer integration to your mains though and its a pretty cheap fix. (do a freq response plot first and see just where the problems are)

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    As Andrew noted, it gets pricey to add full-range equalizers, because you need to connect them between the channel pre-outputs and amplifiers. Few receivers have provisions for this, so it means adding outboard amps on top of the price of the equalizers. It gets expensive in a hurry.

Not to worry, though, most receiver’s tone controls these days are flexible enough to make an improvement, if one is needed.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. BryanDO

Right now I'm using a Yamaha HTR-5640, which is an entry level receiver. It has a bass and treble adjustment but that seems to be it other than the center channel equalization. Too bad it doesn't do that for all channels. Is there a receiver that does?

9. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Sounds like Onix Rocket speakers are just what you need and they have some sales going on right now. Check them out at av123.com. If you see something you like check out the b stock and see if there are any in there and save more, if not call and ask for them to give you a jingle when something comes in for b stock in what you want. They are great to work with there... Good luck.

10. Kean-Hock Yeap

Kean-Hock Yeap Stunt Coordinator

Bryan, have you ever considered Athena's older SCT line speakers, in particular the S3s?:
    http://www.athenaspeakers.com/modelS3specs.htm

Granted they only go down to 40 Hz, but they are timbre matched to the Audition series (which I assume you own, since you mentioned AS-C1). They are also not as bright as the Audition series speakers. You can find them for $200 + shipping from Athena's outlet store:
    http://www.audioprods.com/clearance_...ducts_id=15228

Mike's suggestion to check otu Onix Rocket is also a good one. Check out the X-LS (bookshelf) and the upcoming X-SLS (tower) if the reference/rocket lines are too pricy for you.

11. BryanDO

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Those Athenas are very hard to find. I've heard alot about them but have to hear them for myself. I don't live anywhere near quality audio stores so auditioning is impossible, makes it hard to decide. I went with the audition series from athena (AS-C1, AS-B2, AS-b1's) because of there price and reputation. But they definitely don't suit my taste (warm and dark).

Those Onix Rockets are very sweet, but also very pricey. I'm really liking those upcoming Strata's, but with my current receiver (no seperate amps) and my budget, they'll always be a dream [​IMG]

12. BryanDO

Without the ability to audition these speakers, which would be the more warm and laid back speakers?

-Onix X-LS
    - Athena S3
    - Wharfedale 9.1's ???

I can't stand bright speakers or any sign of sibilance. Any others I'm missing in the 200$ range?