Am I receiving HDTV via OTA antenna or not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Varto, Feb 24, 2001.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I recently setup my Dish6023 to my TW65X81 and I also added an OTA to receive local HD. Per a forum members suggestion, I signed up for the local digital channels in addition to the normal satellite stations offered by Dish Network (to counter any poor signal times). My question is this: Since I subscribed to the local digital channels, am I still going to receive HD for some CBS shows for instance, or am I stuck viewing them as digital. Also, is my OTA even doing anything? I know the installed utilized a diplexer at the satellite to provide for the antenna.
    Is there some setup I need to do to ensure my OTA works?
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Local networks over Dish are nothing more than analog. Unless you have your OTA antenna hooked up to the back of your OTA module directly, the module is doing nothing. Most DTV and HDTV signals are in the UHF range. Meaning, if your analog ABC is channel 4 normally then the HD version of ABC will be somewhere in the UHF range like channel 25, 53, or whatever. They are NOT the same channel.
    You need to make sure that your locals are even availably in HD in your area through titantv.com if you have not already done so. This will tell you if and when they are available as well as showing you which channels they are being broadcast on.
    So basically, if you are going to have an antenna anyway, and you get good analog reception then their is NO reason to pay the extra $5 a month to get local channels. expecially not with the Dish 6000 which inorporates locals into the guide anyway.
    Smake sure you have the antenna plugged into the OTA module and then go into setup on the receiver and input all of your local channels that you want and you are ready to surf your locals and recieve them through your 6000. You do the same thing to set up your HD locals as well - it even has a meter to tell you what kind of signal you are getting as well. That is if your area is broadcasting them yet.
    C. Ryan

3. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Wow, I wish I had that many Digital locals available.
    I checked Titantv for you and you do have almost all of your locals available in digital. You probably already knew this.
    Anyway, here are your listings:
    ABC 41
    NBC 45
    FOX 58
    CBS 44
    PBS 43
    UPN 14
    These are the channels you need to program into the DTV section of your 6000. Let us know what kind of signals you are getting via your 6000. You should also program in your analog stations as well.
    Good luck and have fun.
    C. Ryan

4. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Thanks for the response C.Ryan.
    I programmed the stations into the DTV area of the 6000. Im getting strong signals from CBS (80-99 range), but weak signals from the other stations (60-75 range). The weak signals don't really seem to affect the programming. But for some reason I was watching the stations and now all of a sudden they won't come in. That is why I ordered digital locals from the Dish Network.
    Anyways, Ill keep my eyes on this. Thanks for all your help. That was the first time I visited TitanTV.

5. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Most people suggest above 60% signal strength to get decent reception without motion artifacting etc.
    There have been many posts though about dropped signals. Meaning, you got it once and now nothing comes in. The fact is the OTA module needs a good constant above 30-50 signal strength to continue to deliver the picture in any capacity. Many have reported that their signal will drop to 1 or 2 every once in a while which will cause the receiver to drop the channel or the signal making you go back in and set it back up.
    You probably need to make sure that the antenna is pointed in the right direction and that it is outside. You may also want to think about a separate UHF antenna if the signals continue to give you problems. It could also be a transmitter problem due to a fault of the station.
    Many have even installed mast rotors for their antennas to be able to get good signal strengths from multiple transmitting towers. It is possible that the channels you are dropping are simply not getting to your antenna at a constant strength due to pointing issues.
    Do a search here and see what you come up with. There have been several reports on such problems. If no luck here, be sure to check out avsforum.com in the HD programming section. They have a large member base of people getting OTA HD. You will probably even find posts from people in your own area. This can be very helpful.
    To start you could just try nudging your antenna a little to see if you get better reception on all channels. Also, watch your singal strength meter for a little while when on the problem channels. You may notice it dip very low every few minutes or so. If it does, there is your problem and you will have to do what you can to fix it.
    C. Ryan