What's new

Am I really getting the HD pictures? (1 Viewer)

John Richard

Auditioning
First of all, here is the list of my home theater components:

KW-34HD1 - Sony Wega 34" High Definition Widescreen Television

DVP-S7700 - Sony CD/DVD Player

SLV-M91HF - Sony Video Cassette Recorder

DTC-100 - RCA High Definition Satellite Receiver (w/ compatable HD dual LNB satellite dish)

LIFESTYLE30II - Bose Lifestyle 30 Series II Home Theater System (5.1 channel stereo)

INT-W200 - Sony Internet Terminal

MDR-DS5000 - Sony Digital Surround Headphone System

I think I'm pretty good at picking the right equipment, but when it comes to connectivity and compatablity, that's when I get a bit lost.

The RCA HD Receiver has the pin-type output that are supposed to connect to the HD monitor via a VGA cable. The problem is that my Sony HDTV doesn't have the compatable pin-type inputs, so I have it connected via the standard RCA-type cables. When I view channels such as HDNET, it looks great (the best quality picture of any of the other channels).

My question is: Am I actually receiving the HD satellite signal and is it being reproduced appropriately on my Sony HDTV given that I'm using standard RCA cables and jacks?

I'm seriously thinking of purchasing the Hughes HIRD-E86 High Definition Satellite Receiver due to the fact that it has the component video outputs (Y,PB,PR), which is compatable with the HD component video input on my Sony HDTV. But, I don't want to pay the $500 - $700 for the unit unless it will a substantial improvement from what I already have. If I'm not actually receiving the HD signal with my current set-up, or there would be a substantial imrovement in picture quality with the Hughes E-86, then I will want to go ahead and buy it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks...

John

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
No, I think you're just getting the downconverted 480i (from 1080i HD) through the RCA video (composite) output on the DTC100 box.

If you want to try out a Hughes E86, there's always Best Buy or Circuit City that has a 30 day money back guarentee if you don't think the Component output from the E86 looks better than the composite output from the DTC100.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
John,

The RCA box will only output HD thru the VGA connector. What you're watching is HD downconverted by the box to 480i.

An adaptor is available that will convert the VGA to component video output so you can get true HD with your current RCA box. Costs about $150 or so and can be had at Radio Shack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks