am I over paying for speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by sean f, Jan 19, 2004.

1. sean f

sean f Agent

I just picked up a Boston PV600 on clearence for 224.00. A buddy of mine said that Boston speakers are overrated and overpriced he compared them to Bose. I have CR75 fronts and CR55 rears and a VR910 center. I purchased all on sale or clearence. I love how they sound in my small room so I think he is nuts.

2. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

although not a speaker i would own, i always considered boston a great value for what they were...

i think your friend just needs to put down the pipe.

3. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

I think your friend is absolutely nuts! You should tell him to bring over his Blose (not a mis-spelling here) and do a comparison. Your Bostons will definitely blow it away. Hell, many computer speakers sound just as good, if not better than the Blose. Do a search on Bose here and you'll find many negatives on it. You might want to send this info to your friend, just so he can get the "facts" on his beloved Blose and how he's way overpaying for something that does not perform all that well.

4. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    I owned a BA sub-sat system ($800 in 1999 for a 5.1 system) that was much cheaper than the Bose system it would have been compared to and it sounded great.

The only reason I changed is that I moved up the price scale with Paradigm Reference V2 and Velodyne HGS ($4600 total for 7.1 system).

BA speakers are very good for the price range they are placed within. You could possibly do a little better for the same price, but you could definitely do alot worse for even higher prices.

The most important thing - do they sound good to you? Who cares what others say.

Mike

5. Mike^C

Mike^C Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    Stick around here and you'll find out Bose is probably the laughing stock of the online audiophile community.

6. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

This absolutely and positively, 100% the only thing that matters even so much as one stinkin' whit.

I'm not ashamed to admit that ALL my speakers are vintage Radio Shack speakers:

Mains = modified Minimus 77's
    Rears = modified Minimus 7's,
    Center = 2 modified Minimus 7's,
    Sub = 1 highly modified Optimus Pro SW-12

Actually, I'm rather proud to make this statement because:

A) Consumer Reports once rated the Minimus 7/SW-12 combo a best buy over other sat/sub combos costing 4 and 5 times as much.
    B) I've *ONLY* got $155 (less modifications) in my entire speaker system.

Bottom line: It's your money. Spend it on what pleases you. I do advise though, that everyone practice conscious consumerism. After all, if the "perfect speaker" exists, why are there so many to choose from???

He's not nuts. You're not nuts. The reason we're all here is because we're not all there.

7. Tyler M.

Tyler M. Agent

"The reason we're all here is because we're not all there."

That's almost a Matrix phrase[​IMG]

8. Philip>L

Philip>L Stunt Coordinator

I think you guys will find that the original poster's friend was putting down his speakers by saying that they were as BAD as Bose, not that his Bose speakers were better than Bostons.

9. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Tell your friend I am going to beat him up [​IMG] . Bostons are FAR from being overpriced. I have heard speakers a lot more expensive than my Bostons that just could not keep up with them. Be proud of your speakers. They are very good spaekers. I will say that the center does not match your mains because the center has an alminum dome and the mains have a silk dome. This is not a bad thing, it is just something that will give you an excuse down the road when you want to upgrade[​IMG]. The vr series is "techicaly" a notch above the cr line. So to reiterate, your friend is nuts [​IMG]. ...........I am joking by the way....knowing my luck your friend is Mike Tyson [​IMG]

10. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

I think Boston's have a great sound for the price. I picked them over B&W and many much higher priced speakers.

BTW, I would be very interested in knowing who is selling the PV600 for $224. I would buy today for my 2nd room at that price. I have this sub and love it!!

11. sean f

sean f Agent

leigh

I picked it up at Tweeter on clearence