Am I Ordering the Right Cables?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Todd_K, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Todd_K

Todd_K Extra

Hello, I was wondering if someone would check my work before I go and place an order for some cables for my new home theater.

Here is my equitment:
    Mits 55411
    PS2
    Onkyo SR800

The way I was going to do is:
    Run Audio/Video and S-Video from Reciever to the TV
    Run Component Cables from PS2 to TV
    Run Optical from PS2 to Reciever

So what I was going to order was from Blue Jeans, Belden 89259 Audio Cables, 1694a Video and a S-Video Cable. Already have the optical and Component cabels for the PS2.

Is this right? Please help!!

Thanks,

Todd

2. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

Why are you running S-video between TV and receiver? Do you have multiple S-video components that you didn't list?

Also, do you have a DVD player that will run on component also? If so, you probably want to run component from receiver to TV then component from Receiver to DVD and PS2 and let the Reciever do the switching.

Otherwise, it looks OK.

3. Todd_K

Todd_K Extra

Thanks for the response. I thought I was suppose to run component directly to the TV from DVD or PS2, not through reciever for the best picture.

According to manual for TV I need to run Audio/Video AND either a Video or S-Video to monitor out. Is this right?

4. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

I have one of the predecessors to your Reciever, the 787 and it switches high definition component just fine. HOWEVER, if you only have one device running on component, you're right, just plug it straight into the TV.

As for S-Video, if you're just sending the sound from the TV to your receiver then, no, you don't need to run video out to the receiver. You may want to run S-video from one of the receiver's outputs to your TV's S-video INPUT so you can see the On-Screen-Display.

5. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit