Am I on the right track in HT speaker planning?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Frank Moriarty, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Frank Moriarty

Frank Moriarty Auditioning

My first post here in the speaker area, but after reading the primer, and getting some advice in the basics area, I want to turn my attention to the speakers specifically while planning my HT.

I had been considering something like a Cambridge Soundworks HT speaker package, but as someone logically pointed out, satellite speakers are really mid and high speakers. With a package like that, you're replying entirely on the sub and missing out on significant range in the satellite speakers.

So, at this point I'm leaning toward a good sub combined with bookshelf speakers for greater tonal capabilities. Is this the consensus for a better combination, one that's better able to handle and balance frequencies? And what about the center channel - how should my planning contrast for that versus the "corner" speakers? As for budget, I'm trying to keep speakers under $1000.00

Thanks!

Frank

2. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I second Richard’s suggestion. I have heard this package and it is an outstanding HT package.

The center speaker is particularly good, which is an important factor for an HT system.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My opinion is to spread that money mostly among the sub and front 3 speakers, as this is where the majority of your sound comes from. The surrounds are important, but not as important as the mains, and they can be upgraded at a later time.

At this price point, you could get an Axiom setup:
    M3Ti, VP100, M2i = $750

Add an Adire Rava Sub = $399 + shipping.

That will put you around $1200 and be a very nice system.