Am I making a good decision??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jack Russell, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Jack Russell

Jack Russell Auditioning

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie to the HT world. I've been doing alot of research and reading a lot of posts from various websites. I'm looking to get some feedback on my first HT system.

First off, me and my wife would be using the system about 60% HT and 40% music. Our living room is about 25'x15'. Both prefer a cleaner sound vs a softer one.

Our budget is $1000 USD for a receiver and a 5.1 setup at least.

This is what I'm initially leaning towards now:

Receiver: Marantz 5300 or the H/K325. I can get both for roughly $450. I'm leaning toward the Marantz right now. In all the posts/reviews that I've read, the Marantz had a cleaner sound for music and very good sound for HT(in other people's opinion). The H/K sounded(again, in other people's opinion) softer. I've only heard the H/K and to me it sounded good so I can't compare the 2 together yet.
    Speakers: Fluance AV-HTB. I've numerous posts about these speakers. Not a single one was a bad one. I read a few threads saying that the Fluance was a close cousin of the dreaded "white van speaker sale" but the connection between them was iffy at best. For $250 with shipping included, I found it hard to best the Fluance speakers for bang for the buck.
    Sub: Sony SA-WM500 or Velodyne CHT-10. I saw the Sony on ebay for like $150 so that's what I found appealling. The Velodyne though, from what I read, puts out a nicer, cleaner sound.

This is what I'm thinking right now. What do you guys think? I'd appreciate any and all comments/input. Thanks in advance.

2. agendrano

agendrano Extra

I have the Marantz 5300 driving Acoustic Research S50 for fronts and Wharfedale Diamond Series for center and rear surrounds. When I listen to music just on the two fronts (stereo), the sound is very good, a bit bright but not too forward. I just acquired a new universal player (Pioneer DV655A, Asian model), playing DVD Audio or SACD on 5.1 or just 2 channel reveals that the Marantz is great receiver for the price. (I used to have an Onkyo Prologic receiver and a Pioneer Integrated Amp).

I also have the Velo CHT-10. I think the Velodyne would be better sub than the Sony.

I don't know anything about the Fluance, but if I were you, I will try to listen to the receiver and the speaker you are planning to purchase. I did purchase the Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 for my fronts without testing it with my Marantz and I ended selling it, it was sounding to bright and soft with the Marantz SR5300. When I purchased the Acoustic Research, I was able to listen to it connected to a Marantz, and IMHO way better than the Wharfedale.

3. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

I posted on your other thread on avsforum

but I would look at dmc-electronics for speakers

i would look at the deals at onecall on onkyo/athena packages, or the wharferdale packages...

I, personally, would prefer the marantz or the H&K to the onkyo (though I havent listened to these particular models, Im just going based on what I have historically preferred, which isnt that long of a history [​IMG]), i would stongly consider packaged deals to get the best overall package...And I think the athena & wharfedales are better speaker options...

Rich

4. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

Take a look at the package deal from av123.com on the ELT series speakers.

$1250 gets you a Denon 1804 receiver (may be possible to get different receiver)
    4 speakers front/back
    1 center
    1 subwoofer

forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1097

5. Jack Russell

Jack Russell Auditioning

Thanks for the input guys...I'll definitely look at the websites that you guys suggested. I don't know if I can do the Denon1804 package....its a little over our budget(I had to fight to get a $1000 budget from my wife)