What's new

Am I just getting old or what??? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if irreparable damage could be done with just one loud event that lasts 2-5 hours?
Yep.
I agree with Richard. I have only been to a free concert in central park, and it wasn't really that loud. I have never been to a rock concert int he US so I wouldn't know, but if it's anything like the music in many clubs (Hip Hop, Raggea, Dance), then be carefull.
I stay the hell away from speakers in clubs and at parties. Never thougth about the ear plugs thing. Thanks for the info guys!
--
Holadem

Jack Keck

Second Unit
I can't add much to what has already been said, but as I sit here typing this with my ears ringing......

You are certainly NOT over reacting.

Consider that many concerts can be over 100 dB, or so I would imagine. Regrettably, I have no facts or data to back this up. However, many of us listen to our home systems at about 75-80 dB or so.

You know what? Som hard data about this would be real nice. Wonder if someone has any.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Pete Townshend....acoustic shows? Not at the last Who concert I attended two years ago. He was actually making fun of an audience member in front for covering her ears, Townshend said "If you don't want loud music, you should go to a fxxking Kenny G concert!"

I attended the Pet Shop Boys concert last night in San Francisco, and for the first time, I wish I had earplugs. That was a loud, and GREAT, concert!!

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Danny..
Maybe Townshend changed his tune a bit. :) I recall an interview with him and he was only doing acoustic shows at that time. Perhaps now he can't hear at all and that is the reason for his change of attitude. He was very adamant about his hearing loss and protecting them in the interview.
If we want to get into Who concerts, I could mention at least 4-5 times in the early/late 70's and 80's when they were magnificent at the "Garden," New York Metropolitan Opera House and the Spectrum in Phila. Townsend, Moon, and Daltrey were wildmen. Entwistle did his normal stoic stage show. Were they loud?? Gezzz, they sure were. One of the many reasons why I have hearing loss today. However, they did not force me to be there.
Actually my wife saw them and also the Beatles in the UK when they were just beginning their careers.
Bottom line is of course, protect those ears and loud music does create hearing problems in the future. The good news is that when my wife yells at me for purchasing new audio gear, I can always tell her I did not hear her. :)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I wonder about how much of Pete Townshend's hearing is left. I remember The Who was at one time the loudest band in the world.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Danny.. I am not trying to get into a spitting contest here, but I've pretty much experienced most of the loudest and quietest bands coming out of the 60's thru the 80's. Metal bands, Sabbath when their first LP was released, Pink Floyd to many times, Led Z, MC5, club bands, etc. The list would go on and on. NO, I was not a Dead Head. :)
Sometimes I think it's the size of the hall and your seating too where you listen to the music. The two loudest shows I've ever experienced were in a small movie theater that seated like maybe 300 people. The band was called Nazareth. You probably never heard of them. They were hot for about two years in the 70's if I recall. My ears like were oscillating and I could not hear well for over a three week period. Also, Bruce played in this place too. :) He was not to loud. :)
Second loudest for me was a "Yes" in the round show in the late 70's in Phila. where I had the same experience. I had a front row seat for this concert and the intensity just rocked the body and the eardrums. There was a crecendo or build up to one on "Star Ship Trooper" that made them almost bleed, or so it seemed.
I stopped going to rock shows in the early 80's when firecrackers become commmon place at concerts when I feared that I would lose a body part. M80's were pretty much the norm during that time period.
That was probably a good thing that I stopped. I might be deaf today, or somewhat anyway. Now I listen to moderate volume music, never, never to loud. Classical concerts are always my favorite. Fits my ears well. :)

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Those were the days. I had forgotten about the fire crackers until you mentioned it. I had one go off next to me at a Styx concert from some idiot throwing from the second level. Ted Nugent also had a very loud concert.

I feel very lucky as I have been to maybe 40 concerts from Ozzy, Black Sabboth, Rush, Zep, Etc.... The latest concerts my wife and I have attended have been James Taylor (3 times) and Yanni. We ARE considering OZFEST this year. I have not noticed a loss in hearing at all and can hear quit well.

I think shooting firearms are much more dangerous than loud music. I do wear protective wear for that as I have learned the hard way and suffered over night after shooting a few hundred rounds.

Damn, I'm 40 and still love LOUD music! I guess I'll grow up one day.

Phil

The biggest da

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks