Am i hosed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan_DS, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Ryan_DS

Ryan_DS Auditioning

Ok guys (and girls too) i need some advice. I have been in the process of building a Home Theater on a $1000 budget and i decided i might be able to get more speaker for my money if i bought used. I found a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 5JR for $125 but they are 7 years old. I actually listened to them and they sound great. I couldn't find a single thing wrong with these speakers. I wanted to use the 5JR's as my mains and i found a pair of Polk Audio R15's for $75. These are virtually new and look and sound perfect. I will use these as my surround speakers. My problem is i have a fairly large listening area. (14'Wide X 25'Long) I had no problem with the main speaker placement they will go right next to the entertainment center that will host my TV, DVD, and Receiver. My problem is my wife will not let me mount my surround speakers on the walls half-way down the length of the room so i have to mount the speakers on the back wall which will put my surround speakers 25' away from my mains. My question is will these speakers produce enough sound to envolope me in sound or are the surrounds going to be too far back to adaquately produce a surround experience?

On a separate note could someone suggest a good center channel speaker and subwoofer that would go well with these Polk speakers?

Thanks in advance for everyones advice and patience.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

With your system properly calibrated (with an SPL meter and calibration disc) they should be fine, unless your receiver just doesn't put out enough power to get the surrounds up to the same level as the mains (which is doubtful). If you find that it's a problem, you could always put the surrounds on stands beside/behind and close to the listening position (if that's acceptable to the wife).

Hope this helps [​IMG]