Am I getting burned/Denon5800???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Mays, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

At my local audio shop I have reserved a Denon 5800 for about $2,900. After reading other threads I wonder if I am getting burned.

Here are my concerns with internet purchase.

1. Authorized dealer, or not.

2. Ship weight/cost for repairs, should it need it.

3. No relationship.

I am sold on the Denon product from previous experience and had actually decided to get the 5800 -vs- the 4802. I currently have a 7 month old Onkyo 797 but found that I wanted a little more.

Thanks for your input.

Phil

2. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

Not to start the seperates/receiver debate but I definately wouldn't spend $3000 on a receiver.. You could get a nice pre-amp and a great amp that will be a lot better than the 5800.

3. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

I would say that that is a little high. I think that I remember seeing in one of the posts that the 5800 were going for somewere in the 2400.00 range. If I were you I would do a search to check and make sure. Good luck as it is a great receiver.[​IMG]

4. Todd Schnell

Todd Schnell Second Unit

Phil,
    I think that is indeed too much for the 5800.
    You should be able to find the 5803 for around that $3000 range.
    Try to get your dealer to cut you a deal, or tell him forget about it would be my advise.
    Good luck.

Todd

5. Jim Noble

Jim Noble Extra

Tweeter lists the 5800 for $1949.

I'm sure there are better internet prices.

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Phil, get seperates for that amout of coin. I just added 3 Adcom amps and bi-amped my mains and center with them. The sound quality far exceeds that of a receiver.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

7. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Phil, you didn't know everybody was going to try and change your mind on the receiver did ya? I am a seperates type myself but it isn't for everyone. My biggest need for a prepro has always been bass management flexibility. The Denon doesn't have it! Have you considered the B&K 305/307 receivers. This processor actually has some very good BM flexibility and AT LEAST as good amps as the Denon.

When you say you want more than the Onkyo 797, does that mean power? Have you thought of just adding a good power amp to the Onkyo? That is a good step toward seperates but many find adding power amps to mid line receivers a good way to go. Also, are you looking for better 2 channel sound? No receiver will be GREAT at 2 channel. There are things you could do first, IMHO, before chunking the Onkyo.

8. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Thanks everyone for your input!!!

Several questions have come to mind since reading the reply's.

1. I have been to the Tweeter website but they do not list
    specifics. Do you have to call for a quote?

2. On the seperates issue...I agree it would be
    better....Ron, I think I read where you got a great
    deal on your seperates. I do not understand bridging
    for center channel, bi-amping, etc.. How many amps
    would I need to get 5.1 (well at least 5).

3. How would seperates effect my a/c current as I have an
    old farm house with 2 15 amp circuits to service all AV
    equiptment. Wouldn't a recever use less amps/current.

I want more clean volume from music as I think I am getting enough on the HT side and I do like multi-channel music as I have good towers at all positions and a good center.

Again thanks for the input as this is a lot of coin to spend.

Phil

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

10. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

Phil,
    your A/C situation would be fine, you could upgrade it if you want.. Like Ron said, he is running everything off a 20amp.... seps wouldn't use much more than your receiver.. you could simplify with just a 5 channel amp and a pre-amp.. Basically, instead of 1 box, you would have 2.. I have seen lots of posts about guys with the 5800 or higher looking for outboard amplification.. Save yourself the hassle of upgrading and do it right the first time.. Also, if ever you wanted to get new surround formats/different bass management/etc, you could sell your preamp for probably 75% of what you paid, buy a different one and keep your amp. Flexibility is part of the beauty of seperates, as well as they sound better than receivers.. (ouch!) [​IMG]

11. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

I have always heard that the seperates sound MUCH better. In the past I passed this by my sound shop person and they seem to be stearing me towards the 5800. I sometimes wonder if they are simply pushing a product that they feel they must dump.

Again thanks for the input. I will start looking for a 5 channel or other type amps.

Phil

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Myself, I'll not get into the separates vs receiver issue. Both have their strong points and I'd not talk you out of a preference unless there were an over riding reason to. Confining myself to your inital questions on an internet purchace...

13. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Chu Gai,

The 797 does not have enough "juice" with music for my taste. I have debated (tormented) with seperates, a flagship receiver, or just amping the current 797. I have heard so much about true power. I have seen web sites ranking power for amps/receivers but never one for the 797.

I would love to simply amp my system with some used amps at a cheap price as I certainly do not want to spend more money on the system.

Basically, I want more juice. I do not have enough experience with this system to know if it has good HT processing or not but I do know what I want out of music.

Thanks for your comments.

Phil

14. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

15. Alex Yang

Alex Yang Stunt Coordinator

Craig, Ron,
    I've been through the very same debate myself on separates vs. receivers almost picked up the AVM20, but GOT a great price on the 5803 for under $3000...
    At around $3K for a receiver, please put together a BRAND NEW (NOT USED) Pre/Pro and 7 channel amp that would have all the same FEATURES of the DENON AVR5803... I tried and couldn't... The closest I got was Davis Labs Processor One (NOT OUT yet and the original price at $3K for it went out the door)...
    Yes, I do understand that ULTIMATELY separates will sound better, BUT for the $$$ I spent on the DENON, I personally didn't mind sacrificing a bit of sound for BELL & WHISTLES like FULL COMPONENT VIDEO switching for THREE SOURCES, DPLII, DTS ES & EX, Dolby Digital Headphones, etc...
    While the DENON AVR-5803 can't reach the pinnacle sound of separates at my audtion of them they sounded superb and came really REALLY close to SEPARATES!!!
    So bottom line as a NEW DENON AVR-5803 owner (should be shipping any day now...) will I still switch to separates? Gladly BUT only if it can match the "FEATURE" set that the DENON is offering because in my opinion, the FEATURES justified my purchase more so than the sound did...
    Again, I been "POURING" over all the threads for about THREE months before I pulled the trigger on the DENON AVR5803... I couldn't find anything to match it FEATURE for FEATURE in the separates field for around $3K... [​IMG]
    If you know of anything let me know, and I'll sell this puppy on EBAY in a heartbeat for separates at that price point... [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance!
    -Alex

16. Alex Yang

Phil,
    Definately WAY overpriced, especially since the 5803 is out now... Check around... [​IMG]
    -Alex

17. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Phil, before you drop the change see about arranging for an audition of something, whether its the Denon, or perhaps an external amp. Indeed as Ron points out, if your speakers are biampable that would be an intriguing thing to investigate. Unless its the 'effects' that really get to you, see about doing your comparision with all the bells and whistles out of the picture.

18. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

19. Alex Yang

Ron,
    Call me greedy but I want BOTH!!! Features and Sound!!! [​IMG]
    If I can find ANYTHING in the same price range NEW, I'll be more than happy to offload the DENON for the Separates in a heartbeat! [​IMG]
    -Alex

20. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

What type of amp(s) would anyone suggest and what should I be looking to pay (range).
    I am like Alex Yang and have been looking and "thinking" for several months now and am close to being ready to purchase. To me $3,000 is a lot of money and I want it to be the right choice as I would like to keep this set-up for a few years before thinking about stepping up again, hopefully.[​IMG]
    Phil