Am I getting A Good System?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick Marsh, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Nick Marsh

Nick Marsh Auditioning

I am about to take the plunge. I am about ready to settle on four RF-3II speakers for the front and rears and an RC-3II for the center. I have really been torn on the sub. The SVS 20-39, Adire Rava, and the HSU VTF-2 have all been my choice at one point in my decision process. Yet, I am now ready to get the Hsu VTF-2. I am most interested in music so I hope this system is the one for me. I hae a 16 x 16 room and I believe these speakers are about the right power for my needs. I like the looks of the PSB Image 6T's and the Axiom Millennia M60ti's, but I did not find enough feedback on these to make them my picks. I think I am getting the Kenwood-VR510. I had thought I would get the Denon 3802, but the Kenwood seems nice enough with many features and is somewhat cheaper. Would the Denon be that much better than the Kenwood? Also, am I doing the right thing in getting rears the same as the mains or would Klipsh's RS-3II's surrounds be better? I am still interested in some final thoughts anyone might have.

Nick Marsh

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    If your room is 16x16 square, you're already off to a tough start. Looks like you made some good choices except I have heard that the Rava is more musical than the VTF2. I haven't heard either, but going off of other's opinions, that's my conclusion but you will be happy with either. The Denon will be a better investment than the Kenwood.

3. KevinGS

KevinGS Stunt Coordinator

Good luck with the square room, you'll need it.

I myself am getting the Axiom M60, I found they sound tighter and clearer than the Paradigm Monitor 9v2.

I would get the M80s but I am getting such a great deal on the 60s that I can't refuse.

kevin

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Most of these questions are like asking, "am I going to like a BBQ chicken pizza?" The answer is only something you can provide.

You can't make decisions in a vacuum, get in home auditions if at all possible. Yes of course get matched speakers. But which ones? Well, the ones that sound best to you.

Don't buy a system for a 16X16 room unless you plan on spending your life in one. Just buy a system that sounds good.

Contrary to all the hype there isn't a ton of difference between receivers in the price range you talking about. Denon is always a safe bet, and will possibly have higher resale value than Kenwood.

I have a DIY isobaric version of the Rava and it sounds pretty good. The 12" shiva will move alot more air than the 10" driver in the HSU