Am I experiencing sound loss???

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hi,
I am confused about something. I have my HTIB (Sony DAV-FX500) setup and working. I've calibrated the sound setup, and tv setup. Looks, sounds good. Cable box connects to my TV via HDMI, for both audio and video. However, now I have to find a way to get the sound out to my Sony receiver/dvd. What I did----- connected from my TV/AUDIO out port using RED/WHITE wire to my AUDIO IN on the SONY DVD/RECEIVER.
So now that it goes from HDMI - RED/WHITE - am I experiencing sound loss?

CABLE BOX ---HDMI--- TV then TV/AUDIO OUT ---RED/WHITE---SONY DVD RECEIVER

Please help - I am at a loss here

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You will get stereo sound via the analog audio (aka red/white) connections. If you want to get Dolby Digital sound, then you need a digital connection. Either coax or optical. Your cable box should have one connection and your HTiB should have one. If they aren't the same, there are inexpensive converters available.

-Robert

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Yes, I know I can connect an optical cable direct from my cable box to my HTIB receiver. But wasn't sure if there would be another way.

I am confused because I plan to add a PS3, and not sure how to get this thrown into the mix as well.

If I use the optical connection on the cable box to the receiver, I will also need a way to connect the audio of the PS3 to the sound system. So I have the 2 HDMI ports. One must be used for the DVD player to the TV. So that leaves me w/ 1 HDMI, and a bunch of others. I want to get the best sound for all my devices w/o purchasing any more EQ.
I have a DELL 42" PLASMA TV and the SONY DAV-FX500. The cable box has 1 HDMI, compenent and optical outputs. I do have an optical cable I can connect to my cable box and sound system. But that still leaves the TV to sound setup for when I add the PS3 (or any other device). Not sure what to do here.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
How will it work if I use HDMI to get the signal to the TV, then from the TV to the sound system using OPTICAL? Will that work betteR?

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvwatcher