What's new

Am I crazy? (Toronto International Film Festival) (1 Viewer)

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I'm thinking of driving to Toronto (6 hours) just to watch a couple of movies for the International Film Festival. My parents and siblings think I'm crazy (I'm 22 years old, by the way), but I'm pretty sure that many of you on this forum would do the same as me. :D
I'm really looking forward to some of the films that will be shown:
David Cronenberg's Spider
Atom Egoyan's Ararat
Peter Kosminsky's White Oleander
Brad Silberling's Moonlight Mile
Edoardo Ponti's Between Strangers
David Caesar's Dirty Deeds
Elia Suleiman's Divine Intervention
Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away
François Ozon's 8 Femmes
The schedule hasn't been announced yet, so I'm not really sure how many nights I would have to spend to see some of these films.
I haven't been to T.O. in a few years, so I'm not really sure in which part of the city I would have to stay in order to be close to all the action. Any tips in general?

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
While you're in town, check out Spring Rolls on Yonge, the best damn restaurant in the universe (IMHO). :D
Dunno anything about the hotels in Toronto, but you'll want to be somewhere near a subway stop at least, for easy access to the theatres.
Where are they showing stuff this year? We lost two of Toronto's best theatres over the past twelve months, due to boneheaded marketing decisions: the multiplexes weren't drawing enough people, so Cineplex Odeon and Famous Players each closed a great movie house.
I miss the York a whole lot. I didn't go to the Eglinton as much, since it was a bit out of the way for me, but it was great, too.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
You are not the least bit crazy, I'm thinking of flying in from New York. People travel for far flimsier reasons all the time e.g. "to see the city" and no one thinks they are crazy.

I have a question: Is the Toronto Fest. that much better than the one in Montreal? Wouldn't you be able to see most of the films you want to there?

Ted

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
All power to you, Michael! I don't think you're crazy, just crazy about movies :D . If you're a fan of certain actors or directors, etc., maybe you'll have an opportunity to see them in person as they attend their respective screenings. A buddy of mine went one year and got to shake Sylvester Stallone's hand.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure Toronto is one of the two or three biggest film festivals in North America; it's probably worth the trip.

I won't be going because, well, I've got to work and the Boston FF runs the same week, with a lot of the same pictures. The only comment I'd make is to try and keep the stuff that you know will get a wide release off the dance card, like Moonlight Mile. As much fun as seeing Serendipity a few weeks early last year was, I would have seen it anyway; however, I doubt I'd have another chance to see Acts Of Worship. Similarly, one night gave me a choice between Heist and A Shot At Glory; I greatly enjoyed A Shot At Glory and saw Heist a couple months later.

Of course, this plan occasionally saddles you with the likes of Sam The Man and Edges Of The Lord, where you want to spend hours venting on their awfulness but no-one understands; still, I like to think that the bunches of us whooping and applauding in Boston and Toronto helped Universal decide to give Brotherhood of the Wolf a wide release.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
My parents and siblings think I'm crazy
Well of course you are in purely objective terms. But then, I don’t really think that six hours is all that long for a major film festival (or anything that you really want to do).

My favorite hotel in Toronto is the Windsor Arms[/i], located in Yorkville. Not inexpensive, but worth the premium.

My son once timed a visit to Sydney to coincide with the Sydney Film Festival. Made perfect sense. And this is small beer compared to Toronto.:D

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Toronto's film festival has been rated #2 of all the film festivals (#1 being Cannes of course).

It's not that crazy to travel from Montreal to Toronto for a film festival. 6 hours isn't that big a deal.

I do recommend planning other things while you're in town though. May as well take advantage of the city when you have the chance.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Thanks, I knew the HTF would back me up 100%. ;) I'll definitely look into those hotels and restaurants which you've suggested. The TIFF website suggests a few hotels, but I'm pretty sure that they are charging extra for bookings made during the festival.
The only comment I'd make is to try and keep the stuff that you know will get a wide release off the dance card, like Moonlight Mile.
You're totally right... I'll just try to pack as many films as I can while I'm there. Since I'll probably be missing a few days of school, I'll have to make it short. I've visited a lot of the tourist attractions in Toronto in the past (CN Tower, Niagara/Marineland, Wonderland,...), so I don't plan on doing too much sightseeing. I'll just focus most of my time there on movies and women. ;)

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Uptown said:
Yes and yes!
But to see most of your first picks, you'll need to order your picks in advance, one week week before the start of the fest.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I'd reiterate that you should check out some things that won't be opening wide within a month or two after the festival. While it would be great to see some of these early, I would prefer to seek out those which might be a year away from getting to my area (if they ever do).
I'd love to go to the festival but am unable to this year. The drive would be around seven to eight hours for me, so I don't see what the problem is for six hours. :)
I stayed at the Days Inn on Carlton (just off of Yonge) last summer. The room was small, but then again, I wasn't in it much. There was an arthouse theater doors down from the hotel and a subway entrance very close also. I zipped around the city from that location. Of course, I expect a room there might cost more at a high demand time like then.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I would suggest making that hotel reservation as soon as possible. By accident we were in Toronto a few years ago right in the middle of the festival. It was very hard to get a room.
I would second Mark's recommendation to seek out films that will not get a wider release any time soon. After seeing the list of films shown last Spring at the San Francisco International Film Festival, they have a very good slate and some of those films are just now making their limited releases.
And no, you are not crazy for doing this. I would also do it if I could. For now, my wife limits me to seeing obscure films in towns where we vacation. :) But I have actually convinced her to spend Christmas this year in a (major market) town where the more anticipated limited release films will open.
Have fun. Toronto is such a nice town to visit with plenty of things to do.
~Edwin

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Well, the slate of films was announced today and it's quite an impressive list! Check it out here:
Link Removed

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Grr. Someone tell me again why Boston's film festival is the same week as this? I mean, what's left over for us, with only about 50 movies (~5 of which will be collections of shorts).
And not only has BFF not released its schedule, the website still shows last year's graphics. Man, this irritates me.
Insult to injury: The new Brattle schedule isn't out yet, even though the current one ends with a two-week run of Metropolis that starts this Friday. There'd better be a Evil Dead 2/Bubba Ho-Tep double feature on Halloween to make up for the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks