Am I crazy for not ever pre-ordering games?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Young, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Call me totally crazy and weird, but I prefer the spontanaeity of the hunt for games I want in or around release day. I feel more of a sense of accomplishment by waltzing into a store as opposed to being no. 894 on a preorder list. My question is: is anyone here just as illogical and superstitious as me, or am I completely alone in my fantasy world? [​IMG]
    I never pre-order games from EB, Gamestop, Funcoland, etc for the following reasons (there are others but these are the main ones)
    * Slimy fanboy saleskids: Whenever they try to convince me to pre-order, I get creeped out by their approach. I feel like I'm on a car lot and being strongarmed into doing something. The fervor with which these employees try to get pre-orders, the the guilt tactics they use to get as many people signed up as possible, tells me there's something rotten in Denmark. I feel like I'm signing my soul away.
    * I don't trust the preorder system: Every time I've pre-ordered a game (and the reason I don't now), the store has always oversold pre-orders and ended up giving away copies to walk-in customers... so I've put down my $10 and still have to wait for the next shipment while people off the street walk out with the title. Ok - hard for me to trust a system that also approves of paying $7 for a used game and re-selling it for $29.99.
    The opportunity to hunt down an A-list title only happens 2 or 3 times a year.. the rest of the time it's not as dramatic. In the coming year, we have Zelda, Metroid Prime, GTAVC, Halo2 and other anticipated sequels. I could just waltz into Gamestop and sign my soul away on all the preorder lists, but I won't. I won't do it, because that takes away the adventure out of finding a game I've been anticipating. I'm too proud to be practical here... tell me I'm not alone! I know that HTFers in particular are fanatical about pre-orders, so I may very well be alone in my strange convinctions.
    hehe [​IMG]
    ~joseph

2. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I never preorder games either. I live in the East Bay now but I've lived all over the SF Bay Area and have never had a problem with finding a game the day it comes out. IMO there's just no reason to preorder.

3. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

im not usually one to preorder, but I preordered the PS2 network adapter from EB, (just a feeling) and look what happened. People are running all over the place trying to find the adapter.

4. Scott Falkler

Scott Falkler Second Unit

I've never preordered a game, or anything for that matter. I have NEVER had a problem going to a local WalMart, Best Buy, or any other store and buying the game I am looking for.

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I pre-order because I don't have the time or energy to 'hunt' for the game across town. I'd rather call the store the day it comes out and get over there when I can and pay my money and go home. Nice and simple. I'd do this with all games, but definitely 'AAA'titles.

6. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

ok , I change my mind.

i was number 3 on the preorder list for the PS2 network adapter at my EB, and they only got 5 in today, and somehow, im not getting mine today. (could it be that the guy that works there is a dumbass - i think so!)

so my preordering the adapter from them was totally and absolutely 100% POINTLESS!!

7. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

I have started watching Gamestop.com and EBGames.com for their free overnight/2-day shipping deals that they've been doing lately and pre-ordering that way. I get the games as quickly as I would anyway, plus I avoid paying tax. An additional benefit is that if anything goes awry I can return the game to the B&M store rather than having to ship it back.

8. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

[​IMG]

9. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    It's been years since I preordered anything video game related. Nowdays there are at least a half dozen local stores carying software for my console so I don't bother for two reasons: finding a title in stock is never a problem and I won't know who has the lowest price till the day it's released.

10. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

The last game I preordered was probably The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. I only did so because I was stuck at college at the time and had no way of getting to a store that would likely sell the game the day of its release. I preordered from EB World and the game arrived a whole two days early, much to my delight.

No wait, I take that back. The last game I preordered was Star Wars: Rogue Leader. I had imported a Japanese Gamecube, then modified it to play American games. I preordered Rogue Leader from EB World because they would ship it out before the GCN's U.S. launch, meaning I'd be able to play it a week before everyone else.

The moral of the story here is that I never preorder unless I need to for some special purpose. I never do it because I don't think I'll be able to find the game in stores the day of its release.

Aside from that, I have never had a problem finding the games I want when I want them. I thought it might be somewhat difficult to obtain a copy of Super Mario Sunshine this week, but I managed to find and buy one at the first store I entered. I don't even have the thrill of the hunt for my excuse.

Joeseph, you're not crazy. You're just smart enough to realize that its unnecessary.

11. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I have only preodered two games in my life, IIRC. Metal of Honor: Frontline, which I only did because ebgames.com was giving free air shipping and I happened to see it, and NFL2K3, which I only did so I could trade in two games and get it for free, and it ended up coming in the same day anyway.

12. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I don't pre-order. My local Walmart usually has all major releases in large quantities the day after they ship. I got Mario Sunshine yesterday without any pre-order hassle.

13. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I only preorder games online and only if I can get some shipping or money off deal. Otherwise I'll just walk into a store on release day and just pick it up. I've never preordered anything at a real store, I just don't trust the folks that I would actually get the game on the day they say.

14. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

15. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I only preorder if I'm getting a deal on shipping, the total cost, or some neat stuff thrown in. Otherwise, Best Buy usually has it the day of release (they had well over a dozen copies of Mario Sunshine in stock yesterday, I didn't look for the PS2 Network Adapter). And when I do preorder, I pay in full. That way they can't prioritize by people who paid more; my copy is paid in full, and they can't resell it.

16. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

I preorder everything via ebgames.com. I have to keep track of far too many release dates for anime dvds that I can't bring myself to remember when games come out. Add in a regular job, the web job and then family (a two year old and another on the way), and ther's little time to be spent going and hunting.

Plus, it's like a surprise for myself. I ordered probably around a grand worth of games a couple of months ago, all due in the fall. This week I was surprised with Mario Sunshine arriving on my doorstep when I got home from work. Didn't have to go out and find it, got it on street date. Worth the 5$ over retail for that to happen.

17. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

18. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I ALWAYS preorder EVERYTHING.
    After standing online for a PS2 from 4am-11am like a complete idiot, I promised myself NEVER to do that again.
    There were some games that have come and if you dind't get the first batch, you didn't get it for a LONG time afterwards until the next batch. Zelda 64 was one. There have been others.
    I preordered Zelda and Metroid on Tuesday [​IMG].
    Mike

19. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

The only thing I've ever pre-ordered was a PS2. Good bloody thing, too! Just walked in after work that day. No camping, no problem.

As far as software goes, I don't seem to have a problem getting the games I want when they come out. Other than the usual problem that happens in this hick town where none of the retailers get the damn games that come out on Tuesday until Friday, but what the hell. I don't usually have time to play them seriously until the weekend anyhow.

20. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    The best reason to pre-order was you used to get a bonus, or freebie for doing so....
    Metal Gear Solid (PS1) had a CD soundtrack (which I missed - they ran out and gave me a T-shirt)
    Jet Grind Radio (DC) had a CD soundtrack
    Tekken 3 (PS1) had a T-shirt and mini-artbook
    You get the idea. Unfortunately, you don't hear much of this going on anymore.[​IMG]