Am I being too picky? Just got my new reciever.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan DC, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Ryan DC

Ryan DC Agent

Hello all!

Well I finally got my sony DA-4ES yesterday from jandr in only 3 days! The package came double boxed which was packed with inflatable air bags. I noticed the sony box to be un-opened and sealed with the original tape.

I then carefully unpacked my receiver. I noticed one of the styrofoam supports to be cracked partially. Is this a cause for concern? I then uncovered the thin cellophane foam surrounding it. The first thing I noticed was a few finger prints on the front panel of the receiver. Most of them were smears of what appears to be white grease. Does Sony do a pre-inspection and testing of their ES line before it leaves the manufacturing plant?

I also noticed under some additional lighting that the lower door panel that opens has some very faint scratches under the dts-es logo. Note that the front of this receiver is brushed aluminum. Without that bright light it is kinda hard to see it.

The rest of the receiver case was fine and had no finger prints or marks on it. It also works so far in 2 ch. stereo fine, I don't have all my speakers or accesories yet to test the rest of this receiver out. So I was wondering what you guys would do in this situation? Would u accept it or return it? Do you think that this sony had been opened before and then put into a new box? Or was this from the manufacturing process?

Thanks for your input!

2. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    Hmmmm

Could it be a refurb I wonder?

Or like you said, it could have just been a fluke cause by the factory person who packed it.

I'd test it out thoroughly ASAP for at least a week or two and if things don't work, send her back before the return policy is over.

If they sold it as new on the receipt, it should carry a full warranty as well.

3. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

I'd have to wonder about that one. I can tell you from my experience with Sony, they use cheap styrofoam in most of their products, or that compressed partical paper crap. I had a sony monitor and it had paper thin packaging support. Rather pathetic actually. And, it really shouldn't have fingerprints on it. Most manufacturers put a protective film over the display. Does it have that "new" smell when you turn it on?

4. Joaquin

Joaquin Auditioning

testing

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I'd also email and telephone them detailing the problems immediately, so that you at least have some record of the flaws. If all works out perfectly and the thing has only cosmetic damage, I'd still ask for a partial refund. The fact of the matter is that you didn't get what you paid for. It should be pristine. It isn't. I would think they'd rather give you some refund as opposed to having a return.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If there are any flaws whatsoever, even if "only" cosmetic, I'd demand a complete exchange. J&R is reputable and should not give you a problem.