Am I being told the truth?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wally Lee, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Wally Lee

Wally Lee Extra

Guys, I have a new KP-57XBR10W Sony waiting on me at the store. I also have the DSS with the HDTV recieve scheduled for install, however I am concerned about the Multiple HD component inputs on the set. Is it true that I do not need to use the HD Component for progressive scan DVD playback? The guy at the store says that I can't plug a progressive scan DVD player into the HD inputs...won't even work, he said. You guys are the best and can always be counted on to help a brother out! Thanks in advance.
    Wally
    ------------------
    Wally Lee
    "Man o' Man with this DTS stuff, I hear things I never heard before!"

2. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

I'm not sure about Sony, but on the toshibas, the component HD inputs are used for both HDTV and 480p (DVD). You must configure them in the menu.
    I wouldn't count on the guy at the store knowing what the f--- he's talking about.
    Check the sony website (probably US consumer electronics section) to see if they detail this functionality.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren
    Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

3. Lanny M

Lanny M Agent

This set only has one set of HD inputs....if you are getting the Sony HD receiver, that's the input to use..
    The second set of component inputs on this set is 480i only...the set will convert it to 960i. You can not use progressive DVD with this input. You could use a receiver with component switching or an external switcher if you wanted to....
    Good luck with your decision.
    Lanny
    ------------------

4. Wally Lee

Wally Lee Extra

Right, but the set only has one HDTV input. I just thought, for some reason, that the DVD output on progressive scan DVD player was higher than 480p. So just to confirm a 480p input is all you need for progressive scan DVD??
    ------------------
    Wally Lee

5. Lanny M

Lanny M Agent

You could use the HDTV input on this set for progressive DVD, but then you would lose that input for your Sony HD sat receiver......
    Lanny
    ------------------

6. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator

The new Sony HW40s, due in September or October, will fix this problem. I would wait -- or go with another manufacturer.
    Sony Site
    Press Release

7. Wally Lee

Wally Lee Extra

So let me make SURE I get this correct, before I change my order!!!
    You MUST have HD-Component Video Inputs on the set to use a progressive scan DVD player?
    The store manager SWORE to me that DVD only plays in 480p.
    Now which sets availible today have Multiple HD Component Video in???
    The Mitsubishi's only have one HD -Component Input, however it does have the cool VGA port!
    Thanks for the help guys!!!
    ------------------
    Wally Lee
    [Edited last by Wally Lee on August 07, 2001 at 10:23 AM]

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

9. Wally Lee

Wally Lee Extra

Yes, but MAX resolution for Progressive Scan DVD is 480p correct????
    ------------------
    Wally Lee

10. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Yes, current progressive DVD output is 480p.
    BTW: I have the 57" XBR and love it. I don't yet have a progressive scan player though. But, my friend brought over his 700P and we tried it out and the picture looked awsome. The newer model might be nicer since it has built in 3:2 pulldown. I don't really care for broadcast TV picture quality or content, so I only needed one 1080/480p input for the DVD player.
    ------------------
    Andrew in Austin
    ------------------
    Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player
    Sony STR-DA333ES A/V Receiver
    Sony KP-57XBR10W Rear Projection TV (16:9)
    Infintiy SM 120 (L & R)
    Infinity SM Video (center)
    Infinity SM 165 (surround)
    Infinity BU-120 (subwoofer)

11. Wally Lee

Wally Lee Extra

So one 1080 HD Port for HDTV
    And one 480p Port for progressive scan DVD
    right?????

12. KenPitzner

KenPitzner Auditioning

Progressive DVD is 480p.
    480p requires HD inputs.
    non HD inputs can only accept 480i (which is half the bandwidth of 480p).
    So, to sum up - to have a set top box and a progressive DVD, you need 2 HD inputs, or a HD component switchbox.
    Ken

13. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Wally, the set this salesman wants to sell you will NOT do what you want (or what he says). You will only have one input capable of 480p or higher, which means you will have to switch cables every time you switch from your Progressive Scan DVD player to another High-Def source. To avoid that, you would need a receiver that has high badnwidth component inputs and theyain't cheap.
    Otherwise, you DVD will have to be hooked up to the 480i (interlaced) input, which is a waste of a 480p player.
    The new Sony and Toshiba's both have TWO component inputs that are for 480p or higher. So I would look at those sets.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

14. MickeS

MickeS Producer

The Mitsubishi RPTV's also has two HD component inputs.
    Just to make things clear again... like Matt said, this TV can NOT do what the salesman said. You can not hook a 480p signal to a 480i component input. You HAVE to hook it to the HD component input.
    /Mike
    [Edited last by MickeS on August 07, 2001 at 05:30 PM]

15. Wally Lee

Wally Lee Extra

Looking at the set in the store (tweeter)and talking with the sales guys (hehe) and there are 2 component inputs. One is HD, the 480i or 480p.
    Now my question is IF the second input IS a 480p OR 480i input, why would a progressive scan player NOT work in the second component input at 480p???
    Sorry I am being so difficult but I am not completely up to speed with the different FLAVORS of Component Video!!!
    Thanks for the help guys!!!!

16. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Your model TV has, according to Crutchfield:
    1 rear-panel NTSC component video (Y/Pb/Pr)
    1 rear-panel Hi-Scan component video (Y/Pb/Pr or RGB/HV; accepts 1080i/480p/480i)
    In that case, you CAN NOT have a PROGRESSIVE SCAN DVD-player AND an HDTV-receiver connected directly to the TV at the same time.
    You can NOT connect a progressive scan player to the 480i NON-HDTV input. You can ONLY connect a 480p-source to the HD-component input.
    A 480i NON-HDTV input DOES NOT ACCEPT anything other than a 480i signal. It does NOT accept a 480p signal.
    ONLY the HD-component input will accept a 480p signal.
    Simple as that. [​IMG]
    If you want to have a 480p signal AND a HD signal connected at the same time to the TV, you will have to use a video switcher with enough bandwith for HD, and connect both sources through the switcher to the HD-component input on your TV.
    /Mike
    [Edited last by MickeS on August 07, 2001 at 06:57 PM]

17. Wally Lee

Wally Lee Extra

Thanks Mike.
    It does say over the component inputs (Second set) 480i OR 480p. Is this even possible??? Thanks!!!

18. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

Wally,
    I think what Mike is trying to tell you is, according to the specifications at Crutchfield, only ONE of the two component video inputs is capable of 480p. The other input is NOT HD and, thus, you will NOT be able to connect both a progressive scan DVD player and a HD receiver to this set. It's one or the other. Or, you have to use some sort of external switch device (component-capable receiver).
    To verify the Crutchfield information, I headed over to the Sony.com site. What a mess! They need a new web designer. Seems you even have to REGISTER to even browse their A/V equipment. I gave up.
    Mark
    ------------------
    Our Home Theater
    Our DVD Collection

19. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

According to two reviews that I have read (one from SGHT and the other from The Perfect Vision) The second component video connection only accepts 480i. NOT 480p. Therefore, like others have said, some kind of component video switching would be needed in order to have both HDTV and Progessive scan DVD.
    That is unless they changed something, of course....
    Dan Hine

20. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

I had a HS10 for a month, and the widescreen model you mentioned is just a HS10 in disguise. You pretty much wind up routing all your cables into that one HD input, because it's the only input that can do the squeeze, and it's the only input that can handle 480p/1080i. You will need to get a component video switcher if you are going to use both a progressive DVD player with component outputs and a HD receiver with this set. That will run you about $250.
    ------------------
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group