What's new

Am I being stupid? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Reznik

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All,
I recently purchased the paradigm studio 20's for use as my rear speakers in my HT. I looked at many speaker mounts and I just don't feel right about drilling a mounting bracket onto the back of these speakers. There are a couple of reasons... first the speakers is heavy and that makes me nervous using a mounting bracket. The second reason is that I don't want to drill holes into the back of my speakers. I just spent a lot of money on a beautiful speaker and I don't want to drill a hole in it. Am I just being stupid?
I looked everywhere for speaker mount that doesn't drill into the speaker (basically a shelf). And I could not find one. So I finally ended up just buying some black 'L' shaped shelf brackets and a glass shelf and setting the speaker on it. This also makes me nervous b/c if there is too much bass coming from the speaker it might wiggle itself off the shelf.
What do you guys think?
------------------

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Well,I made some rear mounts out of threaded pipe,Just like Mike Knapps( you can see the pictures at hometheatertalk.com) and instead of drilling through the speakers like Mike did,I sat a 12"12" board on top and screwed into that.I then sat the speaker on the board and wrapped a black strap around it.I wasent so much worried about it shaking off the shelf because of the rubber feet but I do have 2 small kids and you never know what might happen with kids.
So..find your self a strap and tie them puppies down.
------------------
Chad's DVDs

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
A shelf wouldn't be a bad idea.... I'm sure you can create some sort of suction, so they don't wiggle off.....
In both of my theaters, I have Studio 20's as rear surrounds. Neither are mounted.... In my large theater there on speaker stands, and my bedroom there on my Bed Hutch....
I feel the same as you about mounting...
No your not crazy!!!
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
Send Email: [email protected]

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Try the b-tech bt-77s (I think thats the correct model number) They are available from crutchfield.com and grip the speaker from the side. And no, you not being stupid, I wont even drill into my mini monitors, much less a pair of studio 20s.
------------------
My Website: Link Removed
e-mail me: [email protected]
My DVD Profiler
Paradigm Lover

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
For those of you who don't want to drill holes into your
speakers Crutchfield has the awnser.
l121BT77BMT.jpeg

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-SjDZJ3w4yMf/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=1&g=15830&I=121BT77B&o=M&a=0
Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

Mike_Reznik

Stunt Coordinator
Brett,
that's almost perfect. That is what I was looking for. Thanks!
I do have one follow up question though...
I have to mount my speakers at about 6-feet off the ground, is it important to point them down at my listening postion?
I could be way off on this but I thought rear speakers were never supposed to be pointed directly at the listening position, instead they should be reflected off of a wall or ceiling to help produce ambient sound. However, every picture that I see posted on this site shows the rear speakers pointed in towards the listening position.
What is the most appropriate way to place the rear speakers?
------------------

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Another option, since you already mounted a glass shelf, would be to use some blue tack to keep the speaker in place on the shelf. The putty-like substance holds very well, and does not leave a residue. You can find it for a few dollars at most hardware stores.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 4

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
this will not allow your speaker to go anywhere
also great for analog (turntables)devices
found at partsexpress.com
goodluck
grant
SOUND DEADENING SHEET 32"x54" $17.90 EA (1-3),$16.50 EA (4+)
This multi purpose, noise reduction material actually absorbs the vibration of any solid material. It
is made of a mineral filled asphalt polymer that transforms vibrational energy into thermal energy(low level heat). The flexible nature of the damping sheets enables it to mold and conform to irregular surfaces. They can be cut using a standard razor knife and are self adhesive for easy peel stick application.
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
You could also use that rubbery stuff that goes under throw rugs to keep them from sliding around. It has a lot of "gription" an you can find it in different colors so it wont be so obvious through the glass.
------------------
Dave Poehlman
Link Removed
It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going.

Mike_Reznik

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all of the replies, those are some good ideas. I think I will look into the sound absorbing matt or just some sticky adhesive.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks