am I asking too much? (car)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I need to relieve myself of my 2002 WRX, quickly. I'm asking 16,500 for it, about 1000-1200 below NADA *trade in* value, yet no bites [​IMG]

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

3. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

NADA is not terribly accurate these days. Very low finance charges, leasing, and dealer incentives to move inventory are putting more people in new cars than ever before. People are finding trading very difficult and getting below NADA at the lots. Private sellers are doing better but keep in mind that Subaru is really pushing deals on the WRX.

It's also harder to sell a used sports car because every buyer assumes it's been driven hard.

Happily you live in Denver. That should help as Scoobys are very popular. Ask around at NASIOC it's the country's central Scooby message board. You might get some ideas or post it for sale there.

Good luck!

4. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

My guess is that it's the mileage. That's alot of miles for a 2002 even though you've adjusted your price because of it.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

it's not actually. The car was purchased new in 03/2002 so it's just under 2.5 years old, at 15k per year it's just about spot on

6. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    03/2002 was only 16 months ago. That's 24,000 miles/year, not 15k.

7. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

8. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

9. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

the 2004's are out for sale, no? it's 2 model years old, any way you want to slice it.
    I think 2000 dollars off retail for a few extra miles should cover it

10. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Philip,

Except to a very few cognoscenti, your car is percieved as comparable to a garden variety Corolla or Civic built, but by an "off-brand" mfg. The vast majority of people in this category are looking for an automatic and expecting to pay closer to 12k for a car in this size range and age with 32k on it.

Enthusiasts, who do know what a WRX is, are leary of used high-performance cars, especially those with turbochargers. With the deals and interest rates on new WRX's, a brand new one with no chance of having been abused by a previous owner can be had for $50 a month more.

Thirdly, most people expect much lower prices on used cars from private owners vs from dealers, so the NADA price is unrealistic for you. People are willing to pay higher prices from dealers because dealers can and will arrange those "easy monthly payments" and extended warrantys very conveniently--they don't have to go to their banks or credit unions and arrange financing, nor do they have to go through registration hassles at the dmv as they do when buying from a private party.

Also, many people trade in older cars when buying late model used cars from dealers, they can't do this when purchasing privately which also limits your customer pool.

I don't know if this is your first experience trying to sell a car privately, but it's not uncommon for it to take weeks or months to find a buyer and also to have to reduce your price a lot from NADA or Kelly Blue Book retail figures.

To get a realistic price, try Kelly Blue Book wholesale and add a few hundred.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

KBB is

Trade-In Value $16,415
    that's for good condition, the car is probably closer to excellent, but at least an honest good.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Have you also factored in what Edmunds says is the "value" of your particular car (and associated wear-n-tear, options)? KBB tends to be on the high side of things, and not as good an indicator of how much a car will go for. Plus, the locality of sale is a factor in what it'll sell for as well.

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Yes... I'm at least a grand below every other WRX on autotrader and in the paper. Hope she sells soon, I bought the replacement last night [​IMG]
    got a killer deal on a sentra SE-R spec V.
    I sold my altima last may or so, I ran the ad on friday and cashed the guys check on monday. I actually sold it twice over the weekend, one guy comitted but didn't give me a deposit, another guy wrote a check in full so I took it. Good thing, the first guy backed out before I could explain.

14. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

There is probably a WRX website for WRX fans. They can probably help you. Maybe they have a friend that is looking for a used one or something.

15. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

If nothing else, I'd put it on EBay as a reserve auction. A lot of the "younger" crowd who know what a WRX is, use EBay.

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

it's on ebay, autotrader, cars.com, and both major subaru boards [​IMG]

17. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds

18. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

19. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

3 weeks or so. I'm the least expensive in the paper by well over a grand. I think it might be sold, we'll see if he comes through with financing.

20. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Good luck![​IMG]