Am I alone in thinking Family Guy and Undeclared were funny as hell?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by doug zdanivsky, Nov 23, 2002.

1. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    Why'd they cancel these shows? To make room for Baby Bob (or whatever it was called), or Life According to Jim??!

Sure, Family Guy wasn't PC, but damn if it didn't make me laugh. At LEAST as good as King of the Hill, or Futurama.

Undeclared should have made the grade, too. Very funny! The guy in the glasses slayed me!

Am I just a big neanderthal, or does anybody else think these shows should still be around?

2. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

Both shows (especially Family Guy) seem to have a good following here so, no, you're not alone.

I also loved Family Guy. It is, perhaps, my most sought after TV series on DVD.

3. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

4. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

You're mixing broadcast companies.

Fox: Family guy and Undeclared

cbs: baby bob and king of queens

abc: life according to jim

Ok then, on the other hand, Yea i watched them--family guy and undeclared---and they were funny as hell. i'm sad they were canceled. I don't know what fox was doing canceling these shows.

*Slap to fox execs.

5. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    They were both on Fox? Geez.. You'd think they'd want all the heavy hitters they could get!

I'm assuming the ratings weren't there, which is a shame. Couldn't they have tried switching nights, or something, before pulling the plug?

6. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

Family Guy needs to appear somewhere, perhaps on Comedy Central.

7. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

I liked both of the shows as well. It seems to me that The Family Guy ran opposite of something else that I liked. I only saw a few episodes, but loved each one I saw. They should have tried to move it.
    Undeclared was seldom missed in my household. I loved that show. Then again, I'm still mourning the loss of Freaks and Geeks.
    [​IMG]

8. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

9. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I agree that fox gave Family Guy more of a chance compared to other shows but still treated it like crap. It had been taken off the schedule for a longtime leading people to believe it was cancelled and then they put it on Thursdays were nobody would find out it was back on the air. I think they had no intention of giving it a second chance, they just figured they would burn off already ordered episodes in a timeslot were they weren't going to have a hit anyway.

I can't believe what they did to undeclared though. I remember seeing the same promo clip which wasn't that good all summer long but when it started zero promo for each weeks episodes plus they aired it out of order and took it off the schedule for weeks at a time.

I fear the same fate for Grounded for Life. It seems to have been on hiatus since the start of baseball. It was borderline renewed from last year and since everyone has now forgotten about it the ratings will be even worse and it will be lucky to finish out this season.

I think fox needs to dump postseason baseball. I realize the ratings for baseball are higher than any show they could air but the networks overpay for it so they can advertise their new shows and attract an audience. This isn't working. All that is happening is everyone sees a couple episodes, the show goes off the air for a month or more and everyone forgets about it.

10. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

11. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    Yeah, I seem to remember clicking back and forth between shows on Thursday, I think the other one was Friends..

Undeclared should have got more of a chance, but I guess Family Guy was.. I wonder why it wasn't popular? Too many stuck-up prigs offended? I know one reviewer in the Vancouver Sun was always slamming it.. Probably a closet Survivor fan..

12. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    That's not a slam on Survivor fans, I watch it, too (Even though this season is pretty lame..).
    Just how much a high-brow wannabe that reviewer is [​IMG]

13. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I loved family guy, im eagerly awaiting to get this on DVD ASAP...

14. Benson R

Thanks Adam for the link. Grounded is one of my favorite shows and I feared it would go the way of Titus and Undeclared.

The WB has held onto some real turkeys for a long time (Unhappilly Everafter comes to mind) so hopefully there Grounded will have a chance to build an audience.

Am I alone in thinking that Fox has had some of the better sitcoms on the network yet they allow them to die quick and painful deaths. Just off the top of my head there was Undeclared, Titus and the Andy Richter show (I know its coming back from hiatus but does anyone really think it has a chance?). The only NBC sitcom in the last few years I can think of that was worth watching is Scrubs.

15. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

Undeclared's ratings were equal to that of Andy Richter's show. Undeclared was my favorite show, and I was really disappointed to see it not renewed. It was a much better show than Grounded for Life, that's for sure. I wonder why Undeclared couldn't move on to UPN or WB.
    Check out the official Undeclared site. The creator, Judd Apatow, really rips into Fox for cancelling his show.
    Excerpt:

16. Benson R

I liked Grounded almost as much as Undeclared but I must admit at first I wasn't that fond of it. Maybe part of the reason I enjoy the show's humor is because of my growing up in a catholic family and attending parochial school.

I think Fox is headed for deep trouble. They are replacing more and more of their original programming with reality tv. I think this is a big part of the reason cable continues to eat away at network tv's audience. The shows can't be trusted to gain big ratings for many seasons. They quickly become repetitive and I think they are becoming so generic and derivative of each other eventually there will be a ratings fall out for all of them.

17. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    Gotta love those back-to-back COPS followed by Bad Car Chases nights.. [​IMG]