Am I a moron for buying CRT over Rear-Projection?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Cohen, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

I have the Sony Wega XBR 34 inch Widescreen High Definition Monitor and love it. However, while looking to make a purchase I did not look at ANY rear-projection televisions.

Am I a moron for paying 2499 for the set plus another 300 dollars for the stand that goes with it when I could have paid less for something that's almost 30 inches bigger?

Either come here and tell me there is some method behind my apparent madness, that I am getting a better picture, or tell me how much of a moron I am.... I paid for the television all at once and all in cash, I am 19.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Aaron,
    Direct view sets have advantages in high roomlight situations and are less susceptible to burn-in than rptvs. They don't have convergence adjustments or focus issues to worry about. Their smaller size makes it easier to move them around if you're in a College dorm situation.

Their smaller screen size makes less than perfect cable or satellite pictures look better, but you do lose the impact of the larger screen when watching HD or dvd.

I'd say that you made a good choice if you have a relatively short viewing distance (8feet or less), have a less than perfect regular tv picture source, can't always control room lighting, use the set for gaming on an extended basis, may need to move it around periodically,
    and want to minimize the amount of "tweaking" necessary to get the best picture.

3. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Age doesn't have much to do with it son..I'm 22...there are people on this board who have probably -wasted- more money at 16 than money we've even earned by age 20.

I know my friend down the street, when we were in highschool, bought a sony rear projection with his own money...at that time it was $5000. Some people are insane.

Now to the point, nope you didn't make the wrong choice. As long as you buy something and -you're- happy with it, what else matters other than a girlfriend and friends opinions?

The directview sets give a superb pic. If you're in a dorm or apt, it's hard to go big. At least give yourself the benefit of getting the best picture for the price.

As for me, I live in my parents house so I can save a lot of money while going to college. As such I'm getting a new Toshiba 57" for the family room. I'll pay around your price ($2300-2500). There are numerous downsides to rear projection for sure...the only real downside to a directview I see is size.

-ELmO

4. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Thanks for the response. I agree with everything you said. And I live in a dorm at college.

I have brought up similar threads like this in the past and I don't know why I keep coming back to this, but I am content with what I have and something bigger in such a small room would just be an enermous hassle for me.

LOL to the comment you made about people wasting more money at age 16 than what they've made by age 20. I've spent around 7000 dollars in the last couple years on dvd's as I know that this will most likely be the only period in my life that I will be able to purchase these.

After I get out of college I know that I will have to start paying for an apartment, food, etc., and finding a job.

After that it's paying for a family.... but by spending this money now I've got stuff I can watch forever.

But, heh, I'll most likely do anything possible to collect everything HD-DVD when it finally is available...

5. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

You won't stop after college I guarantee it only will become worse. In fact after I get a "real" job I plan on saving money to buy an HDTV, new surround soudn system and speaker setup for myself. Won't be hard if you live by yourself.
    I don't think I plan on getting married...for 10 years.
    -ELmO[​IMG]

6. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Aaron,

I think you probably made the right choice, albeit an expensive one. Since you're still in college, I really think that the 34" Sony or some other WS tube set would be preferable. Part of my reasoning is based on the huge pain of having to move a large RPTV without breaking or damaging it in the process--it's just too easy to turn it into a giant doorstop. I had a 50" Tosh until earlier this year when I had to move. I decided to sell it instead, as I didn't want to be responsible for any potential damage during the move.

By the way, direct view sets DO need to be converged, although they are far less susceptible to convergence drift than RPTVs. Enjoy your set!

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I spent $2500 on a 40-inch Mitsubishi direct-view about 6 years ago and am still pretty much happy with it. This was right before DVD had come out and I was almost certain it wasn't going to be any good, if I had known I would have waited a little longer for a 16x9 set but I still like it better than a projection TV. I don't think I could ever be satisifed with the picture quality on them, plus being paranoid about burn-in.