Am I a fanatic?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Ryan, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Well. Here's the setup:

I go to my friend's house to watch a movie. What movie, it doesn't matter. We're just going to pick one and watch it. We finally pick Shrek. He puts it on, and it's the pan-and-scan presentation on disc 1. My friend loves to taunt me with his toleration of fullscreen, and no matter how much I insist he won't simply switch it to disc 2 and the widescreen transfer. Finally one of my friends there says "well why don't you leave if you don't like it?" or something to that extent. I was shocked by this disdain for my presence, and eventually I actually left. What's worse is that I had given one of my friends a ride there. I'm sure my other friend will give him a ride back, but he was my obligation.

Now. I am an artist (musician). Art is very important to me. Film is art. I can't stand to see it violated. When it's violated, I feel like I'm being violated. Was it wrong for me to become upset over this issue, or am I blowing it way out of proportion. Am I a fanatic?

-Tom

2. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    Ms. Manners would say:

Object politely

Watch the movie

Take your friend home

Seriously though, if you are a guest at someone's house, making a stink over that was probably not the proper thing to do. Just look at it in the reverse. If your friend left your house because you wanted to watch the widescreen version and left someone else high and dry, you wouldn't think too highly of that would you?

Take it easy next time.

3. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

I agree with you the films are art and should be presented in the way the the director intended. However, some people just plain and simply don't like widescreen and if the film is being shown in thier home they have the right to show it anyway they want. It sucks,I know,but tring to change Joe Six Pack is next to impossible. I don't think you are a fanatic for refusing to watch a P&S title,you just get really ticked off when someone else does,I am the same way.

4. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I'd probably be upset as well if that situation were to happen to me. That being said, I guess the polite thing to do would have been to make an attempt at educating your friend about the benefits of OAR (although it sounds like you may have already tried that), but then to tolerate it since you were already there and drove a friend there as well. If it really bothers you, you can just choose to not go to that friend's house to watch movies as often...ask him to come to your house!

5. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Politeness? Please.

In my opinion, this has nothing to do with art or pan & scan or widescreen, or even with Shrek. Dude, I think you need new friends. The ones you have sound like...um, well...not friends.

6. TomF

TomF Stunt Coordinator

7. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Ok. I'm pretty extreme about the widescreen thing....but what the situation was really about was how I was treated. I know I ought to just go ahead and watch pan-and-scan when my friends want to, but I tend to dig in my heels when people ridicule me like that. I still feel really stupid about an argument like that stemming from something as silly a Shrek DVD, but it's done now. Thanks for your input.

-Tom

8. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

My thoughts on the matter...

If your friend likes to mess with you over your preference for OAR presentations, then don't watch films together. I sure wouldn't.

Since you said 'no matter how much I insist', it sounds like you were out of line. As a guest it is okay to make a simple request, but it never should be a demand; and certainly not a repetitive one. While the other individual showed poor form with a snotty 'why don't you leave' comment, you appear to have escalated the situation with repeated demands for the widescreen disc.

Why not just happily watch the P&S version with no fuss the next time you are over at this friends and ruin the pleasure he derives from taunting you? Obviously not to enjoy the film, but to mess with your buddy.

- Walter.

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I think that you started this thread because you realize, on some level, that you over-reacted to this situation.
    Whether the responsibility/fault is on your side or the other side, you two aren't too much friends as you wish you were, otherwise I don't think this situation would have come up. Friends tolerate each other's "weirdness". I'd say you two are probably more "hang-out buddies" than you are real friends...eh?
    One other question: when you left, did you do anything to make sure the guy you gave a ride to would be all right? Did you offer to take him home right away, or make sure someone else would? I take it you didn't, from the way you told the story. [​IMG]
    I also imagine that the rest of them talked pretty bad about you after you left. Which you suspect, since you posted all this and asked for advice.
    Priorities, man. Friends are worth a LOT more than OAR. I don't care how into art you are. And everyone here knows I'm a pretty rabid OAR-fanatic. But I'd never dream of leaving a friends' house over the issue. I've sat through it a coupla times. REALLY. A one-time deal isn't gonna kill you. Now for personal ownership of that film, I can understand...
    Think about it. The fact that you're even questioning the whole situation means that you want to make it right. Good track, if you ask me. Good luck, and take care,

10. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

What you should have done:

After making a simple request and their taunting began, except it and watch the P&S version. Then make fun of it as much as you can by pointing out, "hey, you would be seeing this right now and that right now." If they love to bug you... bug them back. That way A: they'll never invite you to watch a movie with them again and you don't have to put up with P&S, B: They'll get too annoyed with you, hate you, and drop you as a friend, C: They'll beat you up, D: They'll change it over to the widescreen version, E: one or all of the above.

I personally would have asked to watch the widescreen version, lost the battle, watched the P&S version with them, and every once-in-a-while made a comment about how lame the P&S version is compared to the widescreen (not in an annoying way). That way you sorta saved face, but still went with the flow of being a guest at someone else's house.

11. Antonio Silva

Antonio Silva Stunt Coordinator

Well, if i was seeing the film for the first time, i would definitely have left. Otherwise, it would ruin the film for me. If i had already seen it, it wouldn't matter. It would be their loss...

12. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

No need to ruin a friendship(I don't know how good friends you are) over a movie. One of my good friends went out and bought "that cute Bose" system after I suggested to him not to get one. Certainly the thing to do is to grin and bear it.(We are still good friends btw.)

13. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I would've nagged my friends until they put the OAR version in, essentially ruining their movie-watching experience as they were attempting to do to me... but then, all my friends are assholes like me. [​IMG]
    Personally, I would've asked which version would be shown when I was invited in the first place, and politely bowed out if it was the fullscreen bastardization. But then, my friends all know how anal I am about OAR, and they remain my friends regardless. Look... if your friends get all that bent out of shape over something like your love for OAR, then fuck 'em! Fuck 'em right in the neck with a hot pipe! [​IMG]

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Considering just under 3 months ago, if someone brought up this topic, we'd tell them that there are more important things in the world than letting a friend get your goat (which is all that it was, plus personal preference).

Be an adult, if the friendship is more important than OAR, live with it, and adjust accordingly for future movie viewings.

Next time when your friend comes over, tell him that you like only listening to the left channel of audio for films. Sooner or later this should drive that friend nuts, but I think the point should be made as to what they are missing.

15. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

16. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I don't blame the guy! If someone just says to me "I really don't care for the black bars." i'd say o.k., and then try to talk some sense into him. But from the way he described the situation, they knew full well that he liked OAR and they knew how to push his buttons and get him upset, ON PURPOSE! Friends don't do that.
    Their is a difference between a good friend just playfuly busting your balls and joking around, and trying to get your friend genuinly upset.
    And that other guy's comment was completly rude, I would have left too.

17. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint

18. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    You should have noted that the fullscreen version has no DTS.

My friends don't mind widescreen at all (in fact, they prefer it since they're film buffs as I am.)

It's not a decision of preference. It's about proper presentation. Do you go to the Louvre just to see half of the Mona Lisa?

19. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Since you were already there, maybe you could have used him playing the 1.33 version as a reinforcement for your love and appreciation of OAR and to see how bad of a bastardization it was.(I own Shrek and disc 1 will never even be unsnapped, so I may never be able to realize the bastardization of Shrek).

Then after the movie tell him "Thanks that was one hell of a bastardization".

But the one "friend" saying "if you don't like it leave" if he was serious, I would have said "good you f***in imbeciles, your a disgrace to the hobby" and told the guy you gave a ride, "hey I'm outta here you wanna ride?". If he was just playing, well maybe you should have taken it with a grain of salt, and just be happy knowing your never going over there again for a movie!

I would have said you were wrong if the "friend" hadn't said "if you don't like it leave". They just sound like they are not very good friends.

BTW, were you guys drinking? I find this always ruins a movie, if you've had a little too much.

20. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

We weren't drinking. None of us drink. And the friend who initially suggested that I leave was serious about it. He can be pretty scornful. He didn't make his remark in an angry way, but he acted more flippant...like my presence wasn't necessary. This is what he always does. He tends to belittle me at times (he had already done so a bit before the argument, rattling off a bunch of facts about how Western Digital hard drives haven't always been reliable (5 years ago he said they were the worst) when I mentioned a great deal on one).

-Tom