What's new

Am I a complete film buff fraud? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was pretty late getting into film also - not really until I decided on a video production major and felt woefully unaware of the "literature." One of the best classes I took was not a film class per se, but one offered by the music school. The instructor was obviously a nut about film but also cared a great deal about the use of music. I saw a lot of stuff in that class I would have never seen on my own and it taught me to appreciate the role of music in film.

I am known as the "movie guy" among my friends as well but there's ALWAYS something someone has seen that I have not. But because I also read about movies I am usually at least aware of the film being referenced. My favorite exchange goes like this:

Them: You know that movie where so-and-so meets so-and-so and they go that place?

Me: Yeah, it starred Actor X and Actress Y and it was filmed in Place Z and was directed by Director Jane?

Them: That's right! So you've seen it?

Me: No.

I love that puzzled look on their faces when that happens!

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
quote:Uh, are we even sure that Scott is reading this? He posted this back in June and it's only recently been resurrected. We may be playing to an empty house.

You needn't worry. The house was always full. I know it's been a while but every now and then, I'll initiate a search for this thread just to read up on things. I must say all the kind words have been most encouraging. And for that, I wish you all a heartfelt thanks.

In the interim, I have seen many of the titles listed above including (but not limited to):

-Casablanca (bought the 2-disc DVD on release day)
-Wild Strawberries (good)
-Grand Illusion (very good)
-8 1/2 (a trip and a half)
-The Seventh Seal (not what I expected - I think I had certain preconceived notions based on all the pop culture references made about this film... Bill & Ted anybody?)
-Breakfast at Tiffany's (okay)
-Treasure of the Sierra Madre (good)
-Barry Lyndon (underrated)
-Alien 3 (loved the assembly cut, simply beautiful) and Alien: Resurrection (bleh)
-and so much more!

I maxed out my Netflix list. 500 titles(!), including TV series. I'm currently finishing Star Trek: Voyager - Season 4 and then it's off to the Jerry Lewis titles that Paramount just released.

I just graduated Full Sail with a film "degree" - whatever that's worth, we'll find out sooner or later. I received a special Course Director's Award for achievement in set design. When in Winter Park, visit Stardust Video, an art-house video store and coffee shop. I recently rented Videodrome: Criterion (I understood it just slightly more than Naked Lunch and I didn't understand that at all). Unfortunately, I'm moving back home on Saturday so g'bye Stardust. Hello free room and board.
smile.gif

I don't know what the future will bring. The script I've mentioned is currently gestating. I want to learn more first. About everything. I have a couple of job leads, nothing concrete. I've also been toying with an idea for a script based on my time at Full Sail but it's still in the R&D phase.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
That's awesome Scott! Congratulations on the award! Glad to see you dipping into some of the classics. They don't become classic for nothing.
biggrin.gif

Once again, keep at it. Go to the foundations and see whatever you can get your hands on. If you're into set design I hoped you checked out the German Expressionist films. Their sets were amazing. Pre-war German sets in general were amazing. Siegfried and The Ring were all shot indoors though some scenes clearly appear to be outside. UFA had wonderful studio facilities.

Let us know if you're into it. We might be able to recommend some great movies for their set design.

We all have scripts brewing in our heads, including me! Someday I'll shop it around...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks