am/fm tuner / antenna

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Sathyan, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

I would like to improve my am/fm radio performance. I am using my receiver for FM tuner (AM does not work at all) and a Radio Shack (15-1843) indoor FM antenna. An outdoor antenna is not possible.
    There is distortion on the tuned signal. (The station I listen to most is less than a mile away and I can see its tower from my window.) My clock radio (a Grundig AM/FM/SW with built-in antenna) does a remarkably better job on radio but is mono.

AM will be only for NPR (talk, not music) so quality can be lower than FM. On the FM band I listen primarily to classical and jazz with pop and country to a much lesser degree. Presets are nice but not essential.

As far as budget. I see Cambridge and Parasound around $300 but don't listen to radio enough to want to spend that much. Are these good products? Is there anything cheaper that should be considered?

Or do you think its the antenna?

system:
    Receiver: Onkyo SR500
    Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 8.2
    CD: Music Hall CD25
    DVD/SACD: Pioneer DV-563
    Phono: Sony LX50
    Tape: Onkyo 244

Your suggestions and comments are appreciated.

thanks
    Sathyan

2. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

It looks like NAD also has a tuner for under $300 (C422). How does it compare? As I don't have a local NAD dealer, are there any online ones for the US?

Is an amplified antenna needed? (such as the Terk)

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Sathyan
    The antenna is cheaper and has much more 'bang for the buck'.
    Simple copper wire for AM; the longer the better. Try playing around with the FM antenna, a terk might help big time, just make sure you can take it back. Generally the higher the better and the more 'line of site' the better.
    A new tuner would be in store if you were picking up 2 stations at the same time or had bad ghosting - look for higher rejection numbers in the specs

4. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    The small, amplified FM antennas are generally a waste of money. If you have somewhere to mount a simple $2 FM wire dipole antenna, then do so. It won't look as nice as the small amplified antenna, but will very likely perform much better. Alternatively, try hooking into your roof-top TV antenna if you have one.

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Fanfare makes a decent antenna (e.g. - http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...p?sku=AFANFM2G) but it is $90 and is in many cases used indoors just standing in the corner of the room. It could also be a signal overload because the tuner it too sensitive. If the station is that close, a regular cheapo dipole antenna should get it. Try Radio Shack 42-2385. Just spread out the 'T' shape by taping it to the back of your rack or something. It is $3.99.