What's new

AM Antenna connection question. (1 Viewer)

Mark Riley

Agent
I own an old Sony ICF 9740W tabletop radio(which is still actually on amazon) and it has external FM radio 2 screws. Would I get any improved reception for AM if I hook up an AM antenna to this port? There's nothing stated one way or the other in any reviews I've read.

John_Kiger

Agent
Although there's no harming in trying it, I doubt if there would be any notably good effect. The directional AM antenna is usually already inside the radio, connected to the AM tuner, and coiled around a long, cardboard or ceramic tube. Rotating the radio on the (tabletop) is the customary way to manage the antenna in most tabletop radios.

Mark Riley

Agent
Yeah, I have it on a swivel chair next to me so I can easily move it around. i didn't know if the antenna would help since I could, theoretically if long enough, put it next to the window.... or even up the house or something. I'm pretty much trying to DX without buying any expensive equipment. I might buy the GE Superadio III but no stores around here seem to have it.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
How to connect an external AM antenna to the radio probably varies widely depending on the radio's innards. Sometimes connecting the AM antenna lead in to one of the ends of the built in coil format AM antenna works. Sometimes coiling up the lead in and hanging that bundle near the built in antenna works well. Sometimes wrapping the lead in around the built in antenna and continuing the lead in down to a ground works out.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks