What's new

AM-9080 or rotel rb-985 for Polks? (1 Viewer)

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
I've been lurking and searching for quite a while here. I've got a 3802 that I'd like to take some of the load off of and have a chance at either of these amps at a decent price right now. I'm leaning towards the 9080 but the 985 sure has some excellent reveiws. Any input on either from previous owners? I've got Polks all around - RTA11t mains (6 ohm), CS400 center and f/x 500i with RT25i for surround and rear surround.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I have also read from audioreview.com that 9080 is not that reliable, however at this forum, people seem to love it. I don't think the internal components are as good as the Rotel but the 9080 does have 3 transformers.

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know where anyone got information that the AM-9080 is not reliable. Nothing could be further from the truth. They are virtually bullet proof. The hard part with the amp is finding one.

Jeff

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
I've had both, mated with nht 2.9 speakers and I must tell the truth..The sherwood kills the 985. Sound is much smoother/warmer and better build, runs cooler and weighs much more, better binding posts, well you get the point;)

StevenK

Second Unit
I have the 9080 and it ab-so-freakin-lute-ly rocks my NHT 2.5's. I don't know if that's a magical combination, as I've read that this combo matches so well, but I would guess that the 9080 would make any speaker sound beautiful. I honestly don't know how they managed to sell these things so low.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Jeff Hipps,

Will the new Sherwood pre/pro due out later this year be able to trigger the AM9080 amp? Is it possible for one to create a small circuit to be able to do this function for those of us mating this amp to another receiver or preamp? Would appreciate any tips on how to implement such a circuit - feel free to email me the details. I really overlooked the Sherwood because of this.

Can you tell us what amplifier products will be replacing the 9080 and also how the new pre/pro might compare featurewise to the Outlaw 950. I would really like to see an analog crossover at 60-80Hz that can be switched into the analog bypass path (for any analog stereo input) as well as on the 5/7 ch external inputs. I run monitors and a passive sub (as do many others) and rely on the pre-pro/receiver to handle the bass management. Denon has a hybrid analog hi pass and digital low pass that I rely on to do this function for SACD.

Thanks much for contributing on this forum,

Gil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks