Amélie (Canadian SE) delayed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelPe, Apr 30, 2002.

1. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

The last I heard was that it was coming out on April 30 in Quebec, and on May 7 in the rest of Canada. (This information was supposedly from a reliable source at TVA.) However, I haven't found a single store in Montreal that has the SE version. Has anyone had any luck finding it?

2. Andrew Walsh

Andrew Walsh Stunt Coordinator

I just checked Future Shop's website, and it shows the normal version coming out today, and the SE coming out next week. Maybe they delayed the Quebec street date.

3. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Aren't the Quebec release and the English Canada release two different versions?

4. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Yes, it seems that the Quebec street date has been delayed until May 7. [​IMG]
    Jean-Michel, you are correct. The "English" version you are referring to is the Alliance Atlantis release, which streets on July 16 (same date as the US Miramax version). There are two "French" versions released by TVA: a regular edition released today, and an SE (the title in question) which has been delayed until next week. All of these editions are available throughout Canada (none of these are Quebec-exclusive).

5. Andrew Walsh

Andrew Walsh Stunt Coordinator

So will there be a deluxe packaged version as an English release? I really like the idea of a photo album.

6. Eric Sevigny

Eric Sevigny Stunt Coordinator

I have heard that the SE has been delayed to May 7th, but the single disc edition is supposed to be out now. I rented it on tuesday, but haven't checked the stores for it. A word of warning : it features unskipable Bordeaux Wine publicities and more then a couple studio logos when you start the disc. Aside from that it sounds and looks good.

7. Darcy Hunter

Darcy Hunter Stunt Coordinator

Does the TVA version have english subtitles?

8. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Actually, the delay was only for one day in Quebec. A number of retailers received their copies today (Wednesday), so I was fortunate to obtain one for myself.
    Here's my review. (I apologize for the poor quality of the photos, but my digital camera isn't exactly professional.)

9. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Thanks for the pictures Michael.

The collectors box looks fantastic. Too bad it doesn't contain any English subtitles.

Would've been nice if the Alliance/Miramax version had even half as much effort put into it.

The Alliance version better not have bilingual packaging or I'll just blow a gasket.

Normally it wouldn't bother me too much, but since TVA released a much better version specific to Quebec (without English subtitles) - the Alliance version should be made for the rest of Canada without bilingual packaging.

10. Raul_H

Raul_H Extra

Holy Mackeral!! Now that is a boxset. I purchased the UK R2 PAL version myself as I just could not wait to own this film on DVD any longer. Amelie has become one of my all-time favorite films.
    But now I am seriously tempted to purchase this boxset to go along with my copy of Amelie. [​IMG]
    Anyone know of any good websites that deliver to the U.S. where I can purchase it form?