Aluminum, Kevlar, or Polypropelyn

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mike-Gr, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Mike-Gr

Mike-Gr Extra

Feb 22, 2006
    I am in the process of creating my own home theater setup using in-wall and in-ceiling speakers and was looking for other peoples preferences and opinions on speaker material.

Which material... aluminum, kevlar or polypropelyn do you prefer and why?

I understand that poly is a common product in the production of speakers. Have read that aluminum provides very robust sound qualities in both the tweeter and woofer cones. While kevlar provides a more sturdy type sound in the bottom end of the frequencies.

I'm kind of leaning to either aluminum or kevlar.

My setup is on a budget so I will probably go with 6.5" speakers and either a 10" or 12" powered subwoofer.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    I wouldn't worry so much what they are made of as much as how they sound. The implementation of the speaker as a whole determines that far more than just the material. For example, I have always found speakers with aluminum drivers to be bright, but I own a pair of Mordaunt Short 902s in my bedroom setup which use both an aluminum midbass and tweeter and they aren't bright at all.

Paper cones are actually the most neutral, typically coloring the sound the least, but they are also structurally less efficient and generally don't last as long as most of the other materials mentioned.
  3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Aug 19, 2002
    Like John says, yeah different materials and driver designs may have different characteristics in a very crude oversimplified sense, but this is dramatically overwhelmed by the particular design of the speaker. I might even go so far as to say it matters about as much as the color of the cabinet finish. Perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration, but basically, listen to the speaker and pick the ones that sound the best to you.

I mean, Bose and Vienna Acoustics both use paper-based drivers but do they sound anything alike...?
  4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Aug 1, 2000
    I'll echo John and Chris, pay attention to what a speaker sounds like, not what the drivers are made out of. Driver material is only one component that makes up the whole 'sound' of a speaker and a fairly unimportant component at that, IMO.

Keep in mind that many of those components aren't even part of the speaker. Far and away, the most significant factor in how a speaker will sound is the room you put it in, IMO. I would also consider the crossover, cabinet design and the pre-amp/amplfier to be much more critical factors in determining the final sound of the speaker than driver material.
  5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Jun 29, 2001
    You can find garbage and gems in any of the materials. What is it you're specifically looking to do? Buy raw drivers and create your own 'speakers' or looking at existing products?