What's new

Alternatives to the Onkyo SR600? (1 Viewer)

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
The rated power is often PEAK, not continuous, and that is likely not taken from random testing of production units,

Agree completely on this one. High 'Continuous' power ratings are the mark of honest amping, as is 'all channels driven'. When you find the two together in the same rating, your search is usually nearing an end.

I also concur with you on the 'sound' issue. It is after all the deciding factor for most of us, certainly those for whom music is of great importance.

In the end any purchase is a leap of faith. We do the best that we can.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
If Sony said their amps only actually put out 20wpc, 20Hz-20Khz, all channels driven, do you think anyone would buy them when all the other manufacturers are "claiming" 100wpc
Well I think we are both in agreement that it doesn't matter if anyone would buy it or not, what matters is that all the products should have to accurately advertise their product. Basically if these companies know what their real advertised wattage is, then they are just lying or bending the truth for sales. I've learned many times in Business classes at school that companies can get in trouble if they falsely advertise their products, or say that their product does one thing when it does not. So I'm still not understanding why the government will shut down a toothpaste company for lying about their product whitening teeth, but wont shut down or make rules for companies lying about their advertised power...

Norman L

Second Unit
Steve_TK,
My hat is off to you. You understand exactly where I am coming from.
Previously had the 727 (80W)ran all my speakers perfectly. Then upgraded to the 600 (80x6 )as advertised. Bingo, blew my B & W 's watching a few movies 10db below reference, but when the sound effects in the movie raised the db by 30
without me touching the volume dial, bingo blown B & W's.
When the receiver was tested it goes down to 30w or 34w depending on the lab testing companies when in 5 channel stereo. At that level, with a strong loud signal, my speakers demanded more min 50w, so they got a distorted signal and blew. (clipping)

If the receiver's advertising was 80x2, 34x5, I then would not have bought it. I return it for a Denon 2802 with preouts and added my old Tanberg amp for the mains. (150w per channel)for security.

Thank again for all that understand the truth in advertising. Some manufactures report the truth most do not.

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the responses to my questions...
I really appreciate everyone taking the time to articulate on many related issues that will ultimately affect my future purposes in this hobby.
As I had mentioned in my initial post, I did not believe that the SR600 would produce the claimed 80x5. However, I thought I was being cautious enough it assuming at least 60% of the claimed power. That is one of the reasons why I paired the receiver with small speakers which did not require large amounts of power - the other being that this is my first setup and I wanted to start small and learn as I go.
Unfortunately, I find myself stepping foot into a hobby, that can carry expenditures well in excess of what I can budget as discretionary income :b. However, I did try to do as much research as possible, prior to purchasing the receiver and did even manage to get it for a very nice price - thanks to several members of this forum.:emoji_thumbsup:
In an attempt to prove to myself, based on my own judgment, whether this receiver will satisfy my wants and needs, I will be testing it tomorrow morning, after my neighbors are awake. I figure I will throw a few of my favorite titles at it and turn the volume up to levels higher than what I am normally accustomed to. If I like the way the receiver responds to this, then I think I will have justified my reasons for keeping it (based on my listening area and my speakers and my setup - not some thrown together mismatch demo system from the local stores) :)
Many of you have made very valid cases regarding the pro's/con's of this receiver to me. However, I think the it has finally sunk in, that all the numbers in the world, while great on paper, does not make a happy owner.
Thanks again to everyone for all the help. Maybe I'm well on my way to actually learning something about H.T! haha
-Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks