1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to Monster Cables???

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Scotty V, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Scotty V

Scotty V Auditioning

As I'm researching the various components to build a decent HT system I'm finding the connection cables are going to cost me a fortune. I want the best possible quality I can afford in my connections but the Monster Brand seems to be way overpriced. Do I really need to spend $250 for 4 meters to connect my $1000 front speakers? Insane.

The Tweeter Man says it's a must.....unless I want to sacrifice quality. Any advise for alternate brands and/or locations I can still get Monster Quality without paying the "Monster Premium"?

I'll most likely be hooking everything up to a Denon 3805 and need the works. Receiver to Polk Front/Center Speakers via cable, rear speakers via 14 qauge speaker wire, DVD player to receiver via component connection, SACD player via optical link (or Coax, if that is better).

Any suggestions to get top qulaity will be most welcomed.

2. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

The Tweeter Man makes a commission on his sales. Monster stuff is high margin.

Radio Shack speaker cable and gold-plated interconnects (nice bec. they resist oxidation) are nice. Home Depot speaker cable is fine too. 14 awg is a good general purpose gauge.

3. Paul-D

Paul-D Stunt Coordinator

Check out this thread and scrool way down to Custom Cables. There are plenty of links for other cables. Good luck and let us know what you purchase.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm using Monster speaker wire and it works just fine, but I didn't pay $250 for it. I bought it bulk for less than $1/ft and popped some decent banana plugs on there.

Something like SoundKing or Caroll wire from www.partsexpress.com would work fine. Others will likely suggest Home Depot bulk wire as well, and that should be OK too.

14ga for the surrounds should be OK if your runs are less than 50'.

For SACD and DVD-A, you cannot use coaxial or optical, you have to use the analog connections, unless you have a player that specifically has a digital pass for these formats. Regular DVDs and CDs will work via digital. For analog connections, I wouldn't use anything Monster offers.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Or if you want a slightly different look to the clear PVC, check out KnuKonceptz. Highly stranded wire enabling you to lay the wire out nicely. Then, as others have suggested, terminate the ends in bananas or spades depending upon your preferences.

6. Scotty V

Scotty V Auditioning

Paul D-
    Thanks for the link to the thread. I found a link on that thread to heartlandcables.com and it seems to have exactly what I was looking for. The cables (vs. straight speaker wire) for my front speakers are half the price of what I saw for the comparable Monster Cables (M500V) I was looking at. The prices for Composite Video sets seems to be less then half. Thanks again.[​IMG]

7. Paul-D

Paul-D Stunt Coordinator

No problem Scotty V, glad to help. [​IMG]