Alternatives to B&W...suggestions???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MWestyn, Jan 6, 2003.

1. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

I've been looking at the B&W DM604's, LCR600, and DM602's (series 3) as a new setup. I love the B&W sound but I don't have much basis for comparison as there are very few "high end" stores around here.

Just looking for any suggestions in a comparable price range (about $2500) for speakers that may have a similar sound or are perhaps better all-around.

I've considered paradigm because a buddy of mine is an authorized dealer, but I've yet to audition them.

Sub is not a concern as I'm going with SVS.

(I've auditioned Def Tech, Klipsch, Boston Acoustics, etc. All too bright and nowhere near as accurate in my oppinion.)

My receiver is a Marantz SR7300.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. John Spicer

John Spicer Agent

Cool !! I just setup (less than 2 weeks ago) my system which consists of:

B&W 603 s3 x 2
    B&W 600 s3 x 1
    B&W 601 s3 x 2
    SVS PCi 25 31

Powered by a H&K AVR320.

I listened to Klipsch, Infinity, Definitive Tech, Polk, etc and B&W took it all hands down. Go with it, you wont be dissapointed.

-- John

3. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

If I had a buddy who was a Paradigm Dealer, I'd be looking real hard at their reference series...(provided you get a deep, deep discount).

I myself recently purchased KEF Q-Series (Q7/Q9c/Q1) after auditioning Paradigm Monitors, B&W 600s, Def Tech, Monitor Audio, Klipsch, and a few others.

Good Luck,
    Sean in Nor Cal

4. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

B&W's are excellent speakers but like Sean said, if you can get a good discount on the Paradigm Studio line, I'd serioulsy consider it. You also might want to check out audioenvy.com to see if there is anyone near to you where you can audition some Rockets. They're only available from av123.com and have been getting excellent reviews. IMHO they look much nicer than anything else in the price range and use real wood veneer instead of vinyl that most other speakers in your price range will have.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I looked at B&W DM601 S3's vs Acoustic Energy, Energy, Paradigm, Def Tech, Phase Technology, and maybe 1 or 2 others.
    I went with Energy C-3's.
    B&W is a legendary speaker maker, no doubt about that. But I couldn't find a B&W response curve as smooth as Chart 2 here:
    http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_c3.htm
    (Click on the "measurements" box.)
    In general, www.audiovideoreviews.com (linked to the above) has a lot of good speaker reviews (especially the ones with the NRC logo after the listings in the Loudspeaker section). Floorstanding C-9's are reviewed here:
    http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_c9.htm
    Chart 2 again. Check out the low freq response, more or less flat to ~35 Hz for a speaker that only costs $1300 a pair.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Try to find a local Mirage dealer. Mirage speakers have a similar (British) sonic singature to B&W, you may find you like them even better.

7. MWestyn

Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming...I'm open to anything.[​IMG]

8. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

See if anyone around you has NHT speakers. They sound fantastic, I can't say enough about them. Also see if you have a JM Lab dealer in your area. Another incredible sounding speaker.
    Here is al link to the chorus line from JM Lab.
    The website for NHT appears to be down. But here is a link anyways.
    Nick L

9. Mikey B

Mikey B Stunt Coordinator

Regarding the comment about Mirage sounding similar to B&W:

Mirage is another Canadian company and very much has a similar sound to other Canadian companies speakers I've heard (Paradigm and Axiom). I have never heard their bi-polar speakers, but I have spent considerable time with their HDT series and FRx series speakers, and they sound much more like the brands I mentioned than they do B&W. Maybe you meant Monitor Audio which is British. I don't pretend to be able to identify MAJOR differences in any brand's signiture, but B&W and Mirage do sound about as different as I've heard. Which isn't a huge difference IMO.

To the original poster:
    If you did not like Def Tech and the others you mention, I doubt you will like the others mentioned here. Of course the electronics they were demo'd on can play a significant part in what you heard.

Another brand that is accurate and not real bright is the higher end M&K's. The S-125's and anything above them are very nice. Even the lower ones are pretty darn nice.

10. Ted_Wern

Ted_Wern Agent

The Paradigm line is amazing.....was sold on getting the
    B&W's till I heard the Paradigm's. Much cleaner and more depth. I am going back this week to make a purchase.

11. MWestyn

Just want to thank everyone for their input...
    I'm going to listen to the Paradigms and see what kind of deal my friend can get for me (should be pretty good) and I'll see if I can find any other places to audition other brands around here. I look forward to bringing something home fairly soon. [​IMG]

12. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Mirage
    Mission
    Kef
    Wharfedale
    M&K

All these brands have speaker lines that have a similar ("Britt") sonic quaility.
    As mentioned above the eletronics in front and the room can play big roll in what finally comes out of the box!

Kef-Q line and the Wharfs-EVO line are worth a listen if available to you in your area...

Regards
    Geoff

13. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Thiel might fit the bill:
    http://www.thielaudio.com/
    These are extremely accurate speakers, so to some they sound too "dry" so be prepared! These speakers will reveal any weaknesses in the recording and/or your playback equipment. And their build quality is tremendous.
    Be aware though that many of their speakers have very low impedances like this one & require a beefy amp:
    http://www.thielaudio.com/THIEL_Web/Pages/cs1_6add.html
    Stereophile review of this speaker:
    http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?663
    The "big" Thiel reviewed:
    http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?216
    LJ

14. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I'll put in a vote for Thiel too. They are time aligned/phase correct speakers, which IMO gives better imaging than most speakers.

15. I would second the M&K recomendation. I have the S-125 L/C/R and absolutely love the sound. I am looking at going with KEF Q series though because the only M&K surrounds I like are the SS-150 and the SS-250 which are just too darn expensive. I can get an entire set of KEF's (Q7 fronts, Q2c, and Q2ds surrounds) for $400 more than just the SS-150 surrounds.

16. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I suggested Mirage, but if I had the money I would have a Theil setup myself. I find them to be very pleasent sounding speakers, and B&W does come close to delivering the accurate Theil sound so I guess you could say that they have a similar sonic signature. However, Theils are very picky regarding amplification (they need considerable power to sound good - but I think my Sherwood Newcastle AM9080 would be up to the task), and also quite expensive.

17. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my favorite brand, ACI. Wonderful speakers, terrific people to work with. They're the original factory-direct speaker company. Friends and I have compared my $1200 Sapphire III LE directly to the B&W 805 Nautilus, it was pretty close, but the consensus was that the ACIs are better. For a real ACI love-fest check out this thread at AVS
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=199347

18. Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright Stunt Coordinator

I was also considering the B&W 602 s2 I believe it was a year or so ago.. I really like the sound of them in the store ALOT.. and the B&W name made it even better. So Some how I do what I often to is went there did a deposit threw .. (placed) the speakers in the back went to my local Hifi store Fairview HIFI in Ontario Canada(plug for the best hifi store out there, thanks Paul) and picked up a pair of Boston Acoustics Vr965's .. With in second I had made my choice To me and my mother the B&Ws sounded very Wrong through my Marantz SR-7000. I played some Eric Clapton and matallica S&M and the Bostons Pounded the B&Ws in to the floor. They sounded so much better. For the $2000 or so dollar price tag I was disappointed with the B&Ws performance. I have not herd the new Line of B&Ws so I couldn't say what the s3's sounded like. But I would look at Paradigm,Boston,JMlab(if you like)

19. Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright Stunt Coordinator

Im due for an upgrade I think.. was looking t Paradigm Studio 100's or maybe even Bostons VR975... not sure tho..

Take a look at the Powered studio line also.