What's new

Alternative Sonosub Enclosure Material? (1 Viewer)

Joey_R

Stunt Coordinator
I apologize if this topic has already been addressed. I have access to some sections of large pipe from a local utility project. I do not know the exact pipe diameter, but somewhere in the 16 to 24 inch range. I think it is used for water transport. It is aqua-blue color and appears to be a thick-wall (maybe 3/4 to 1 inch thick), PVC material. It seems to be ideal for a Sonosub. I think it could be cut with an ordinary radial saw. Has anybody used this material before? Have you got any comments regarding the use of this material for a Sonosub? Any comments would be appreciated.

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
The 2 problems I've heard of with PVC for sonosub material is resonance and "malleablity", although I hear the resonant freq. may be such that it wont affect the subwoofer performance. Then it is just left to the fact that I doubt 1" thick PVC wall will want to form too easily to your endcaps so those would have to be nearly perfect to fit in, and it would be far heavier than the normal paper sonotube. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks