Alternative DVD Packaging

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Don Giro, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Don Giro

Don Giro Supporting Actor

Don
    I've been reading the "Curb Your Enthusiasm" packaging thread, and I'm curious about what people think about the different types of packaging we're seeing these days.

I like the "Curb Your Enthusiasm" slide-out packaging, but as a novelty. I wouldn't want to see this become the norm.

I'm happy to see the "snapper" cases are being phased out.

I absolutely detest the edition of "Total Recall" that was issued in the circular Mars-tinted tin box a few years ago.

Iron Maiden's "Rock in Rio" package was terrible: two discs stuck to flimsy cardboard with foam rubber stoppers.

The "Battlestar: Galactica" packaging is just TOO big. Had I seen it in stores (I ordered it over the net, sight unseen), I might not have bought it. I'm gonna have to store the disc set separately from the box and booklet.

The recent "E.T." release has no markings on its spine, making it unidentifiable when stored in my video library.

I also hated the "Basic Instinct" release in the clear plastic box with the icepick pen. I never liked the movie, so I'm not saddled with this one.

The "Sex and the City" releases look cool, but the covers tear at the folds after a while.

What do you think?

2. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, but it looks cool. [​IMG] Actually, I don't mind that one at all. At least it is easy to get the disks in and out without the worry of breaking some flimsy plastic tabs.

3. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

I sent email to Artisan and requested a keep case. Now I have both.

You forgot the "Band of Brothers" packaging in it's oversized tin case. Which I love.

I'm a fan of the unique packaging as long as it's something cool. I also have no problem printing new cover art and sticking discs in an extra case if the original packaging is less that ideal for storage.

4. Don Giro

Don Giro Supporting Actor

Don

I love the "BoB" box. It looks great in my collection.

I don't have access to a decent color printer at the moment, so I'm unable to print custom covers (but I have seen a few which look spectacular).

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for alternative packaging ideas, I just find "alternate" ways to store them, if you will. I'm just curious about what others think.