What's new

Alternate to Samson amp for single CS-Ultra? (1 Viewer)

NateF

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering getting a CS-Ultra from SVS, only one, not two. Paying $450 for the dual channel amp seems a bit much considering I'm going to be wasting half of it. Is there a comparable single channel amp I could buy that would save me money without losing quality?

Thanks,
-Nate

NateF

Stunt Coordinator
Hrm, loud isn't cool (well, it's often cool, but... you know what I mean). Of course it depends on what you mean by loud. 30 dBs sounds pretty loud to some people, but would be perfectly acceptable for me (though obviously an ideal amp wouldn't be audible).

-Nate

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
I use a QSC MX700 for 7+ yrs no problem. I did upgrade the fan to a quiter one. Now it's barley audible. You may want to check w/John Gordon at QSC, he's very helpful.

Arnold

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I second the Crown....just bite the bullet and get the Crown. Down the road when the pain of the "expense" is gone you will thank us!

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Check out ebay. Lots of great choices for used Crown's there!

Any good bridgeable amp over 500 watts should do fine!

Gordon

NateF

Stunt Coordinator
Sheesh $1100 for just the amp! Daaaayum! That's more than the CS Ultra costs! I don't know guys, that sounds a bit much. I guess it is fanless, which is awfully nice, but still... is there really that much of a difference in the sound? $650 more than the samson?

-Nate

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
Nate,

If you could put the amp in another room I would suggest the crown xls402 (Im using this currently)..its 400 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms and is bridgeable also. It runs cool but does have two fans..their going on ebay for around 225.00~250.00 new.. (retail is 495.00). 3 year no fault transferable warranty to boot.

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
If a "plate" amp is tolerable, look for the high power mono models at Adire, Acoustic Visions, Madisound, etc.
JP

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
Keep in mind that if you buy the Ultra and the Samson the price works out to $400 for the amp. I've got the Samson and think it's pretty good amp for the Ultra. The amps fits in the rack good and it's not tall. It also sucks air from the front and blows it out the back so you can set stuff on top of it.

I've never done this but some people talk about running the center channel or butt kicker type devices off of the unused channel.

NateF

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help guys. I guess I should look on eBay. Actually, I just looked and there are a lot of great deals. Thanks for the tips! :)

-Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks