Alternate to Samson amp for single CS-Ultra?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by NateF, Jun 20, 2003.

1. NateF

NateF Stunt Coordinator

I'm considering getting a CS-Ultra from SVS, only one, not two. Paying $450 for the dual channel amp seems a bit much considering I'm going to be wasting half of it. Is there a comparable single channel amp I could buy that would save me money without losing quality?

Thanks,
    -Nate

2. Arnold_R

Arnold_R Stunt Coordinator

3. NateF

NateF Stunt Coordinator

Hrm, loud isn't cool (well, it's often cool, but... you know what I mean). Of course it depends on what you mean by loud. 30 dBs sounds pretty loud to some people, but would be perfectly acceptable for me (though obviously an ideal amp wouldn't be audible).

-Nate

4. Arnold_R

Arnold_R Stunt Coordinator

I use a QSC MX700 for 7+ yrs no problem. I did upgrade the fan to a quiter one. Now it's barley audible. You may want to check w/John Gordon at QSC, he's very helpful.

Arnold

5. DerrikW

DerrikW Stunt Coordinator

check with svs about a crown K1. Or if you really want some power get a K2.

6. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

I second the Crown....just bite the bullet and get the Crown. Down the road when the pain of the "expense" is gone you will thank us!

7. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Check out ebay. Lots of great choices for used Crown's there!

Any good bridgeable amp over 500 watts should do fine!

Gordon

8. NateF

NateF Stunt Coordinator

Sheesh $1100 for just the amp! Daaaayum! That's more than the CS Ultra costs! I don't know guys, that sounds a bit much. I guess it is fanless, which is awfully nice, but still... is there really that much of a difference in the sound? $650 more than the samson?

-Nate

9. John-Tompkins

John-Tompkins Second Unit

Nate,

If you could put the amp in another room I would suggest the crown xls402 (Im using this currently)..its 400 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms and is bridgeable also. It runs cool but does have two fans..their going on ebay for around 225.00~250.00 new.. (retail is 495.00). 3 year no fault transferable warranty to boot.

10. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

If a "plate" amp is tolerable, look for the high power mono models at Adire, Acoustic Visions, Madisound, etc.
    JP

11. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

Keep in mind that if you buy the Ultra and the Samson the price works out to $400 for the amp. I've got the Samson and think it's pretty good amp for the Ultra. The amps fits in the rack good and it's not tall. It also sucks air from the front and blows it out the back so you can set stuff on top of it.

I've never done this but some people talk about running the center channel or butt kicker type devices off of the unused channel.

12. NateF

NateF Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I should look on eBay. Actually, I just looked and there are a lot of great deals. Thanks for the tips! [​IMG]

-Nate