Alternate sub amp possibilities...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Adam.Heckman, May 7, 2004.

1. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Two questions:

I'm going to start making my Adire Tempest sealed mid-q project soon. However, I was wondering if there is any other amps that could be suggested besides the Parts Express 250w plate amp (which is what I'm looking at buying right now). I understand that the 250 should be fine for me, but I was wondering if anyone has had great results with another amp for around the same price.

Also, does anyone have any more info on the 'rumble filter' on the amp? What frequency does it kick in? What kind of rolloff is it? Do the people here think it's generally a good thing?

Thanks in advance.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Another good plate amp is the one from MCM Electronics. It is very similar to the Parts Express amp. Not sure of the current price, though. However, back in December, MCM was selling them for $89 - each. I'm sure the price isn't that low now, though.

Also, theck out Apexjr.com. They are another company that offers plate amps for subs.

3. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Thanks, I checked out those links. I saw the Cerwin Vega - CVT 300S at apexjr. It's 300w, but it doesn't say at 8 ohms or what! Do you, or anyone else know if it's good at 4 ohms? I'll be wiring the dvc on the tempest to run at 4 ohms.

Thanks again!

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Yes it is. I got the 100w model and it runs at 4 ohms just fine. A guy at the PE board got the 300w model for a 4 ohm driver and he had no problems with it either.

-Robert

5. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Awesome. That looks like I've got a short list going. Leaning toward the CV.
    Thanks for the responses and if anyone else has anything to add I'll certainly appreciate it.

6. Michael Hartwig

Michael Hartwig Stunt Coordinator

My suggestion on this is; don't skimp on sufficient watts. I have the Tempest in a sealed 140L octagon cabinet and the Adire 250 ( watts into 4 ohms) plate amp. I think this sub could use a little more oomph from a better amp. Creative Sound Solutions (http://www.creativesound.ca/)has a plate amp that puts out 250 watts into 8 ohms/360 watts into 4 ohms; that would be worth checking out.
    My experience with the Adire amps was out of 4 amps I got(built 4 Tempest subs) 1 amp had much more oomph. That's the one I have on my system now.

7. Jason Dalton

Jason Dalton Stunt Coordinator

Check out the Rythmik 350 on acoustic-visions.com, it seems like a real good deal for [email protected]

8. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Jason,
    I like that rythmik. It's got more options than the others that I'm looking at like a 3 way adjustable sub-sonic filter.
    We have a new leader.

Michael, I think that you're right about wanting more than just 250, which is why I'm shopping around. It's good to get somebody that's done this before to chime in and let me know I'm on the right track!

Again, thanks and keep 'em coming.

9. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'll give another recomendation to the Rythmik, especially since the upgraded version is now the base model. It's really great for multiple tuning point subs because it gives you 3 different rumble filters.

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

If that's the case, I don't think I'd stick with plate amps. Pro audio amps all the way, baby. [​IMG]

11. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

The Rythmik would be plenty and the goodies are a sweet added touch.

The Apex CV-300 ain't no slouch either with transit peek power of 450-watts and it holds it's low distortion rating at that power also.
    Don't know if, where, or at what slop the SS filter is tho, (I'm sure it has one as the Amp comes from a 15" ported designed CV sub)....

It also has a 3db boost that can be turned on or off. I belive it's around 28 to 30Hz. Steve just dose not have any info on these, so everything is coming from word of mouth.
    On the cheap, the CV is a good buy for some decent power on the cheap...

I have one, but it is not up and running yet, have a problem, not sure yet of which is bad. Need to do some trouble shooting to see if it's the amp or the driver.
    Both the driver (ED-Kx10.22-DVC) and amp (Apex CV-300) are new so that bites that one or the other has a problem...[​IMG]

I also have a few Rythmiks running, and for your purposed Tempest, excellent amp. But if you plan, or might consider building some type "monster sub later", then a bigger pro amp may be a better choice long term..

Regards
    Geoff