What's new

Alternate audio stream through system - help needed (1 Viewer)

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
I'll describe this as best I can: I'm currently running a Sony STR-DH800 receiver, with 5.1 in the front room. The extra 2 speaker outputs are driving zone 2, in the bedroom.Hooked up to the receiver are my PC, HD PJ & BDP, all via HDMI, as well as an older, non-HDMI DVDP, via coax. What I'd like to do, on occasion, is have the ability to play audio from a different source to the video. For instance, I have both the US BD & DVD for The Magnificent Seven; the BD doesn't contain the original mono soundtrack, whereas the DVD does.Obviously, non-inclusion of original audio, frustratingly, happens a lot on releases.Assuming they synch up ok, I'd like some way of playing the HD video with the DVD's mono audio, without going to the trouble of burning some sort of composite disc. Another occasion is when playing a silent film, whether streamed or on disc. Sometimes, they don't have any soundtrack at all & it would be great to play one from another source. Is this in any way possible, without having to have a separate amp & speaker setup in the same room?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only way this works is if your 800 has a dedicated audio ONLY input.Those are disappearing. So if the 800 has CD or something be else to use, pick your video source, switch to the audio only(video won't change).OrYou'll have to decipher how to connect a "DVI equipped source". DVI didn't carry audio and hopefully Sony provided a provision for secondary audio with HDMI.All of the DVI related situations will be in the manual, if provided for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks