What's new

Altec-Lansing's (modern) "Traditional Speaker" series (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I just stumbled on these. Wow these look very nice and have comparable technical specs:

Altec-Lansing Traditional Speaker series

I like the smallest ;) model, the one with the 10" woofer and dome midrange & dome tweeter, all mounted in a conventionally styled blast-from-the-past cabinet with real wood veneer.

A great match up with my mancave's dimensions and desire for a music-only stereo system, though they could also be used as the front mains in an HT system for a larger room, because even when crossed over at the standard 80Hz, those channels are sent some powerful bass signals that IMO a dinky 5" or 6.5" woofer (seemingly the most popular size for that application) cannot possibly reproduce fully at high volume levels.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I was poking through the manuals and found that the upper two models use an acoustic-suspension design, which helps explain their low efficiency-but-extended bass response qualities.

FYI ----> just in case anyone reading this i.e. they're not old like me :D doesn't know that Altec used to be a highly respected loudspeaker manufacturer rather than just another computer speaker/iPod docking station brand, check these out:

The Santiago, the Model 19 and more

And one of my favorites, the Bolero w/pics. Usually used in a "side-ways" position.

FYI: someone on another forum informed me that another company supposedly uses actual Altec design technology in their loudspeakers (like a large coaxial driver), but not the actual Altec-Lansing name:

Iconic Manufacturing Company

They also will be selling some systems in kit form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks