Altec Lansing???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan_SS, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Ryan_SS

Ryan_SS Extra

I have looked over the board, I am new and I have a set of Altec 100 for fronts a pair of 75's for rear and a boston 525v for center. I would assume since noone uses them that they can't be very good, what would you all recommend for speakers

2. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Just because no one uses them doesn't mean they are not any good. Let your ears be the judge of that. Demo your speakers, and then other speakers, with the same stuff, and decide what sound you like more.

Are the Altec speakers horn loaded

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

That's kinda what I was thinking. Altec Lansing made some horn speakers that would be worth quite a bit today. With the right kind of amplification, these can sound better than many other speakers.
    Of course, they could also be of poor quality, like he fears [​IMG]

4. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

I agree. Look how much the old klipsch speakers go for!

5. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I don't think those are horn speakers. If they sound good to you, then they are good.

6. Ryan_SS

Ryan_SS Extra

I think it is mostly an upgrade itch, I paid 400 dollars for the front pair on close out in 1995 which was a good deal, I think they sound good but when I go listen to the studio series in the store I get goosebumps, but I think it might be the upgrade bug poking me, and no they are not horns, they have a silk dome tweet, a 3 inch mid and two 8" drivers in one cabinet, I think they are built well, they weigh about 65-70 lbs a piece, But I bought them when I didn't know all that much about home theater. If I do sell what do you think is a good asking price or is there somewhere on the net I could find out. Thanks for listening

7. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

It would be difficult to sell those because Altec stopped making them a while back so there would be nowhere a prospective buyer could listen to them unless they were close to you.

8. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

There is a tendancy in everything for people to seek the approval of others, quite often instead of pleasing themselves first. This hobby is notorious for this. Let your own ears tell you. If you like them great. Go out and listen to what is on the market.

If you find something you fall in love with, bring it home. Where it is good to solicit the knowledge of many of the experts here, the way a speaker sounds is probably the most subjective topic you will find. (hence the greatest number of posts fall in the category)

The only real advice I can give you is to match all of your front speakers. IOW have speakers with the same drivers (as much as possible) in all of the speakers. Don't mix and match.

9. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I agree wholeheartedly with Jason. I always enjoyed the sound of Altec Lansing speakers and almost bought a pair in the late-70's. When I finally upgraded my speakers 3 or 4 years ago, I didn't see any AL's, locally.

If you are interested in upgrading your speakers, I recommend you audition Paradigm, PSB, B & W, Klipsch, to name just a few. A good starting point is establishing a budget and then auditioning as many speakers in that budget as you can. Enjoy.